Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: wed. work day  (Read 15938 times)

GTXVette

• View Profile
wed. work day
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:31:19 am »
6:30am   heading for Northlake in a Few Min. see ya soon!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: wed. work day
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:33:13 am »
Roger and I should be there about 10. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:33:17 pm »
So, how'd it go?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:24:46 pm »
John got the broken stud out of the head.  Roger and I installed the clutch kit.  Dave surprised us with his presence and set up the new Rodney transmission brackets and he and Roger installed the new transmission mounts to the cradle.  We discovered that the clutch release arm needs a case bushing replaced before it goes together.  Axle seals can be installed afterward. 

All of us worked on DeShoe's car, getting the new Ocelot Exhaust installed, everything but the megaphone tips.  We kept maneuvering the system to try to get both tips balanced in their openings.  Dave discovered that they had been marked incorrectly when he swapped sides with them.  Dave was the lead on the exhaust work, especially springs and hangers, having just dropped and reinstalled his transmission. Everyone was so busy that I don't think there were any pictures taken.  Roger, Dave and I pulled out just shy of 5PM.   

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:58 pm »
I didn't realize that DeShoe's Fiero was in need of work.  Sounds as if Dave's got the skillz.

While we're on axle seals, I was told that they're unnecessary.  One of mine is missing.  I have a set of new seals, but inquiring minds want to know.

It sounds as if a good time was had by all.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 09:41:20 pm »
Excellent! Good show!
Are the manifolds mounted yet? Engine on the cradle? (Sounds like not, but that's okay.)
I'll be up there Saturday AM. Please let me know what time. (Y'all mentioned 10, today. That works fine for me. Or I can shoot for earlier, as I mentioned in the other thread. Either way.)

MikeMac. Unrelated...
My friend at work needs a front wheel bearing on his Tundra. 2WD. Said he was going to call you this week.
Also, I need a timing belt (and probably a transmission service) on an '09 Honda Odyssey van. In case I forget to mention it on Sat., please remind me if you think of it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »
GTRS, seals are necessary else the fluid will leak out and water and debris can enter the transmission.  DeShoe's car has been at the shop for several weeks.  Got new ball joints and tie rod ends and an alignment, I believe.  Died on the way home and it was diagnosed as having a plugged exhaust system.  It got a complete Ocelot system, today. 

Steve, about all we can do is to get the manifolds on and the AC, alternator, etc.  The engine is on the cradle, held by the front mount. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:56:00 pm »
Must be a manual.  IIRC, the axles on the automatic just snap in.  I was thinking of the seals that go against the wheel bearings.  Those shouldn't allow transmission fluid to leak out.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:16:10 am »
Do seals now or later after you clean up the oil that leaked out. as the World Turns, so do the gears and they make internal pressure and sling oil with great force. the splines aren't cut that close in tolerence and the loc ring won't stop oil.
you may live a better than I.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 09:05:56 am »
Do seals now or later after you clean up the oil that leaked out. as the World Turns, so do the gears and they make internal pressure and sling oil with great force. the splines aren't cut that close in tolerence and the loc ring won't stop oil.
you may live a better than I.

I think he meant the seals on the back of the knuckles. Not the tranny seals.
FWIW, I still think they need to be there, to keep crud out of the backs of the bearings.

Looking forward to Saturday. I know that everyone is anxious to get the AeroDon car back on the road.
Good thing that Mike has an alignment rack. He'll need it.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 09:51:06 am »
I just read this thread.  I didnt realize that all you guys attacked my car to get the exhaust back on.  I was out of town for a week and just got back and was doing catch up on the message board.  Hopefully I can get the car back on the road and to a point that I can join you all in some of the rallys.   Thanks again to Mike and all that helped

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 10:26:00 am »
MichaelG, if you still have the knuckle swung away from the axle, visually inspect it to see if the edges of the seal are damaged.  If they aren't, pack the cavity with grease and reinstall the axle.  The seals are necessary to keep crud from getting inside the knuckle and eventually, the hub bearings.  Because there's a lip on the CV joint that runs inside the cavity of that seal, I expect that it also helps to protect the CV joint in some way.  If you decide or need to replace them, see my Hub Replacement writeup, especially regarding the torquing steps for the axle nut. 

Bob, we got to a point that we couldn't go any further on the AeroDonamic car and we still had some time and energy left.  Michael has to do all Fiero work when he can find a moment among other things.  We just wanted to help both of you. 

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 10:57:55 am »
I want to thank you all for helping Mike and myself in helping get the car back on the road and not alongside the road.  Mike does a lot for the club and its good to see that we are making a effort to repay him for the use of his shop and equiptment.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 05:40:15 pm »
The seal was damaged, but I have new seals, and new hub bearings.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 05:43:27 pm »
I want to thank you all for helping Mike and myself in helping get the car back on the road and not alongside the road.  Mike does a lot for the club and its good to see that we are making a effort to repay him for the use of his shop and equiptment.

It's great to be part of a club that does so much for each other.