Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A New Formula In Our Stall  (Read 61294 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A New Formula In Our Stall
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:12 pm »
My father worked in some kind of electronics job or another all his life, and  my brothers and I grew up in this atmosphere and made all kinds of electrical gadgets, including Van de Graaff generators, Tesla coils, "Jacob's Ladders", etc. If you have ever seen one of the old "Frankenstein" movies, where Dr. Frankenstein is trying to bring the monster to life with all the sparks flying... Well, that's what it actually looked like in our house sometimes when we were kids.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »
 don't you Mean Frank N Stein, 

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2018, 04:34:20 pm »
Commandment #5 - Tarry thou not amongst those who engage in intentional electric shocks, for they are surely nonbelievers and are not long for this world.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:49 pm »
Today I put a new coil in place of the suspect one, put in (so far) two new plugs, some injector cleaner and more gas. It actually runs pretty smooth now, but something is making quite a bit of noise. The old stick to the ear trick tells me it's the AC compressor, which doesn't make a lot of sense, because it's not engaged.  But if I take off the belt and run it, the noise isn't there, so it's something that the belt is turning. I tried the stick on the alternator and water pump also, but the noise is loudest when it's on the AC compressor. I turned the compressor pulley by hand with the belt off, and it turns smoothly. So I don't know what's up.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2018, 08:31:46 pm »
I can think of at least 2 possibilities.  First, it could be something in the belt path.  Second, you can't spin the alternator quickly by hand.  I'd turn it with a pulley, using my drill.  That'd get it moving more quickly.

I don't know about that AC compressor, but some AC compressors have a clutch behind the pulley.  That clutch loves to go bad.

What else is on that belt, other than the drive pulley?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2018, 09:53:12 pm »
What else is on that belt, other than the drive pulley?
Water pump, alternator, AC compressor, tensioner, and what appears to be a pulley to fake the original power steering pump. Even without the stick, the noise is definitely louder on the firewall side of the engine, where the AC compressor is. And that's the only thing on that side of the engine.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2018, 10:32:52 pm »
You could unplug the electrical connector from the AC compressor to verify, but it may be failing there.  Last time the AC compressor went on my 4.3, it made a rather startling noise--not a ticking sound.  On a different 4.3, the clutch went out, and there was surely a ticking sound.

Was the noise there before replacing the plugs?  Were either of the plugs on that side?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2018, 10:45:23 pm »
AC was not on, so unplugging it would most likely not make any difference. The plugs were replaced only because I pulled out the old ones to look at them. One on each side. No difference in sound from them.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2018, 10:50:11 pm »
Unplugging the AC shouldn't make any difference, but it's relatively easy, and eliminates one thing.

The reason I asked about the plugs was to see if possibly something may have been disturbed in that area.  Probably the engine was running poorly enough that you couldn't have heard this sound.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2018, 11:10:43 pm »
The sound was always there. I just didn't want to deal with it until I got the engine running well enough to move on to the next problem.

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2018, 02:14:01 am »
A few years back on one of the club runs, The Little Black Car developed a knocking noise.  We all tried to figure it out but could not pin it down.  I could not locate the cause even with my stethascope when I   got home.  I pulled the belt and found it was a bearing in the water pump making all the noise.
Harry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »
It would be interesting to see if the noise was the same with the A/C engaged. Maybe something in the clutch bearing, while it is freewheeling. Once the clutch is locked up, all that you should hear are the compressor bearings.
...at least if the clutch works the way I think it does.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2018, 06:40:49 pm »
Maybe I'll charge the AC, and see if it works. And see if that makes the noise change. I'm guessing that, after the car has set for so long, it will need charging. I can't imagine a guy from Florida (where the car was used originally) not  having a working AC.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2018, 07:35:35 pm »
I think it was stock when it was in Florida.  I remember him opening the trunk to get apples that he would hand out and no one really paid attention to the engine, and that was after he moved up here.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2018, 11:05:46 pm »
Warm apples for everyone!