Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A New Formula In Our Stall  (Read 61280 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: A New Formula In Our Stall
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
I have the original engine vents for the car plus we have the stainless steel laser cut vents from the Joel Project car.  I'll bring those along with the white hood that we can swap out.  The one I have is in much better condition than the one on the Formula. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 04:44:57 pm »
I replaced the other two back (easy to get to) spark plug wires. Now the engine fires up the instant you turn the key. Still has a miss, though. Maybe this weekend I can change the front (hard to get to) wires.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 07:32:55 pm »
Leslie found all the keys for the car.  She's mailing them to you.  You can use the ignition key and the cylinder you took out to put into something else. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 07:34:06 pm »
Better late than never, with the keys.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2017, 08:38:40 pm »
All the spark plug wires are replaced now, and the Formula runs smoothly. But it wasn't the condition of the wires, it was that two of them were on the wrong plugs. I looked up the plug wiring for a '95 3800, and connected them according to it. That fixed it.
But there's a lot of engine noise in the cabin. I wonder if this could be the fault...

The turnbuckle is solid mounted. I wonder if it's even necessary, since there are two struts holding the engine at the front. The struts are fastened to a bar or pipe mounted where the deck lid tortion bars used to be (which is why it needs gas struts to hold it up).
Here's one of the struts...

The other strut is in front of the ignition brick...

The check engine light is on when it runs, but I don't know how to get the codes. Where the ALDL connector goes, it has a connector that fits my OBD2 reader, but it only has 4 wires going to it. The OBD2 reader says "no link" if I try to read codes. I'll try searching online for a way to clear the trouble codes, and see if they come back if I can clear them.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »
I noticed that alternator brace in one of your earlier pictures and was concerned about it breaking something under load. 

That front setup looks like it could be the source of cabin noise

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2017, 10:42:59 pm »
I'll try removing the turnbuckle and see what happens.
One other thing -- the (aftermarket) radio plays, but has a loose connection. If you just touch any button, the radio may turn off, and then turn on with the next touch. And there was a CD in the radio. An unknown group called Tangerine Dream, and the album is called Melrose.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:15 am »
I removed that turnbuckle connected to the alternator and ran the engine a little bit. It didn't seem to make any difference.
Actually, the most annoying noise is the intake suction -- it doesn't have a "water separator" in the intake, and the suction noise is quite loud. And the exhaust noise is rather quiet for a Fiero -- I think it should be louder. I wonder what kind of muffler it has, to make it that quiet?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2017, 12:46:50 pm »
I'm just throwing this out there.  Is the issue noise, vibration, or both? 

If it's just noise, I don't see the firewall insulation.  Maybe it isn't clear in the pictures, or I'm looking in the wrong place.  That insulation cuts down on noise.  Other than the intake, is the engine noisy outside the car?  What sort of noise is being heard in the cabin?  Intake?  Exhaust?  Internals?  Accessories?  Mechanics have a stethoscope that can be used to identify noises.  Some things, like that dipstick handle could be too close and hitting the firewall; or, something else could be hitting against the engine, if proper clearances weren't allowed for.

If it's vibration, I'd recommend starting with the engine itself.  It seems that the engine is running smoothly, but is it?   I'd then check the mounts, both engine and transmission.  Is the rubber or poly all good?  If they're solid-mounted, that could be the issue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:43:49 pm by GTRS Fiero »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2017, 12:20:42 pm »
I've been studying the diagnostic connector in the 3800 Formula. It's actually a special GM OBD1.5 connector, that lies in a "no man's land" between OBD1 and OBD2. Fortunately, I found an article on line that discusses this, and how to scan it. Looks like I'm going to have to make an adapter.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:24:21 pm by TopNotch »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »
That's what I was telling GTRS Fiero about the 7730 used beyond 93.  The 94 and 95 were all alone.

Supposedly all vehicles beginning in 97 switched to OBD2, but my 97 Dakota would flash codes in the odometer by cycling the key rapidly.  GM wasn't the only one with the oddballs.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2017, 04:45:14 pm »
I've been studying the diagnostic connector in the 3800 Formula. It's actually a special GM OBD1.5 connector, that lies in a "no man's land" between OBD1 and OBD2. Fortunately, I found an article on line that discusses this, and how to scan it. Looks like I'm going to have to make an adapter.

I've got an AutoXRay that does OBD1 and OBD2. Came with a cable that looks like an OBD2 connector, but it's obviously different. Might that be something that you need? It also scanned a 95 Toyota Tundra that had what looked like an OBD2 connector.
It also has the usual OBD1 ALDL connector.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »
I've got an AutoXRay that does OBD1 and OBD2. Came with a cable that looks like an OBD2 connector, but it's obviously different. Might that be something that you need? It also scanned a 95 Toyota Tundra that had what looked like an OBD2 connector.
It also has the usual OBD1 ALDL connector.

Sounds like it would work. This will also work, if all you have is OBD1...

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2017, 06:09:21 pm »
There's a guy in Indiana with a last name of Goodwin who has done a lot with OBD1.5.  I can't remember his first name, but he did a conversion to a 3800 SC with OBD1.5.  I think he used to work for GM, but don't recall.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2017, 08:31:23 pm »
Guys with corvettes are all up in the obd1.5 stuff. Apparently, their riddled and plagued by it.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)