Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Passenger side headlight will not go all the way up with the hood closed but wil  (Read 14169 times)

Sandman87

• View Profile
having an issue with the passenger side headlight it will go all the way up if I have the hood open but if I have the hood closed it will not go all the way up any ideas on how to fix this?
Mike

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Had you rebuilt these?

Are these Gen I headlights, or Gen II?

Sandman87

• View Profile
 I put LED headlights in but it did the same thing with the halogen bulbs as well I haven't rebuilt them or done anything else to them I am not sure what generation they are it is a 1987 Fiero looks like the headlight motor is just a to prong connection and the headlight bulb is wired separately straight to the bulb
Mike

Sandman87

• View Profile
Pic
Mike

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Time for a rebuild.

Sandman87

• View Profile
Damnit . Is there a link you can put in here on how to do that
Mike

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Well, you might look at the April 2019 newsletter.  It has the basics.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
The headlight bulb would have nothing to do with the operation of the mechanism.  They are totally different circuits. 

The motors stop when the module senses high resistance.  This should only occur when the mechanism reaches full up or full down position.  It may be that you don't have the mechanism aligned well.  Look at the two strips on the headlight doors and be sure that the mechanism contacts them evenly and as centered as possible.  This is what I think is the problem. 

You might also try pressing on the Headlight On button a second time or just a little harder.  I had that problem with my headlights after replacing the switch for cosmetic reasons.  The new switch will only raise them half way without a little harder push. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Since your car is 87, you no doubt have gen 2 motors. When the hood is open, it takes a lot less power to raise the headlights, because they don't have to push open the headlight door. If your torque pins are shot, that could explain your problem. Can you hear your headlight motor continue to run after the headlight gets up as far as it can go?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Sandman87

• View Profile
No the motor does not continue running.I looked everything over real good it seems to be in the exact same position and shape as the other headlight.
Mike