Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Got a rude awakening...  (Read 16684 times)

redraif

• View Profile
    • Indy SE #770 "Stormtrooper Edition"
Got a rude awakening...
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »
Just when you think your safe... Well I popped on a bit ago only to promise I would be on more often.  Well as the designated litter box for the universe, the chaos can't seem to quit nipping at my toes and falling on my back.

In the beginning, it was just little annoying stuff that ate time and $...
-Dakotah (daughter) & her coo-coo significant other causing extreme drama (can you say police involvement)
-Too many cats (Dakotah bringing home new ones we really were not prepared for)
-Civic saying it was tired of bing the daily driver (little crappy things breaking, like A/C and radiator leak and a headlight that keeps on blowing and getting us pulled over by the cops)
-Patty's new DelSol to give the Civic a rest and some needed freshening up time (but the Del won't pass emissions, so no tag...)
-Mustang week (getting the car ready and gettting it to pass emissions to get tag due to bad battery)
-Mustang at Summit (getting the car there & getting pics to memorialize it)
-The yard that seems to never be done (bad landscaper)
-Sick cats (see above too many cats...LOL!)
-Dakotah gets her first speeding ticket in a school zone
-and I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Well we kept rolling with the punches, but it meant Fiero just sits and waits... its $ just keeps going everywhere else... :(

Well then the universe & I really got on each others poo-poo list!
-Dakotah falls and has to get surgery on her hand to fix her tendon in her pinky...

And drum roll please.... time for the rude awakening!
-Our house gets broke into!  They came in through a door with a inner window into the bedroom.  No one was home.  They grabbed the 4 foot tall, over 100lb jewelry chest & ran out the front door, passing 2 laptops... 
And before you ask, yes we have two 70lb dogs that make more noise then shoes in a dryer at any little thing outside!
And yes we have a monitored alarm system!
Yes the neighbors saw them trolling (3 black young men in a 90s malibu) no one called the cops.  One neighbor saw them loading the jewelry box and fleeing.  The power company saw the idiots pull over at an abandoned house in the neighborhood and take the box out of the trunk it did not fit into and try for the door of the car.  When this failed they threw the box down in the ditch and grabbed what they could and left it.  And they are still at large and breaking into houses.  And if they are who we keep hearing about, they shot a homeowner in the arm...
So just when you think you got your bases covered that happens...

Now the kicker... you know how the insurance company always warns you to be sure your coverages are adequate.  Well they don't do that for the homeowners.  We just bought the house not long ago and did not even know about a jewelry limit on our new policy.  Of course the insurance company did not say... So the end all be all is this... $1000.00 deductible and a $1000 limit on jewelry.  Well thinks to the hike on gold prices, I thought I only lost a little, turns out I lost around $18,000 in jewelry... OMG!  So the insurance is paying for a door and broken fence wow!  Well the insurance guy says he feels bad so maybe he can get the deductible waved... but ONLY if I can produce reciepts for jewelry that is over 20yrs old!  REALLY!!!!  Darn class ring company can't even come up with my order.  They say they have it if it was since 83.  Well they can't find me in 92... wtf!  the ring alone is worth $1000.00 now...

So check your policy ASAP!  Don;'t get stuck like me.  Appraise everything, just to have records.  Video or take pics of it all! 

So now the insurance company is giving us our repairs less $900.00 till we prove the work is complete... then IF we can prove all our jewelry was ours somehow, they might consider waving the deductible... 

This happened over 2 weeks ago
So far we are out $250 on new locks (master set missing... was in jewelry box) and we still have to rekey the rest...
we have now put blinds up everywhere in the back (live on a lake so many windows on lake side)... ($600.00)
Plywood on the door for the moment... ($60.00)

And the insurance is still quibbling about getting us money to at least sart the repairs.  Wow get robbed and get treated like you are the criminal! 
1984 Modified Indy Fiero SE #770 "StormTrooper Edition"

Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45, 18x8, 39 offset , 84 WS6 springs -1.5 coils
Rear: 265/35, 18x8.5, 45 offset,  Coil-overs:  10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Got a rude awakening...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »
I'm very sorry that happened to you, and I hope they catch the perps.
If you have specific needs, let us know.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

redraif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »
Just wanted folks to learn from our bad luck and check your insurance and give your dwelling a good once over

Drag DR-34s
Rear: 265/35, 18x8.5, 45 offset,  Coil-overs:  10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:37:51 pm »
I'm very sorry that happened to you, and I hope they catch the perps.
If you have specific needs, let us know.

What Pat said: If you need "ANYTHING" and we can help, let us know!
\D
Life is good!

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:29:19 pm »
its happening here too ,thats why i live in the woods and the nearest people to my house are not here during the week and I have put in Cameras around the house just in case.
 Guns and knives are here with the bad people but we are not allowed to  have the same
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:51 am »

OMG!

First, I hope Dakotah is okay (at least her pinky, if not her pinky-sized brain from the sound of it  ;-).

Second, yes, ANYTHING I can do, just let me know!   WHAT a bummer!

I raced cars in the SCCA Pro Circuit between 1973-80.  In Jan. 1981, I sold my last race car (Dodge Colt) right after my final race in Dec. 1980.

I had just moved from a house with an attached garage to one with a detached garage.  I never thought to do anything buy give my new address to my insurance agent; not mentioning the change from attached to detached.

My race car and trailer were already gone (the guy who bought it rolled and totalled it in his first PRACTICE session, poor guy!) but someone broke into the new garage one night and made off with pretty much every tool and piece of equipment I had collected.

Of course, NONE of this was covered... because my policy only covered (my former) ATTACHED garage!

I think the total damage was about $5,000 (in 1981 dollars).

So, here's hoping that:

The Law catches the jerks who burgled your home and recovers every piece of the stolen goods.

They turn out to be on the Homeland Security Wanted List and are sentenced to life in Gitmo prison.

Your insurance agent gets a bad case of fleas. And gives them to his wife. And she gives them to their mailcarrier. Who gives them to the jerks who broke into your house. Who give them to their cell mates in Gitmo, who hold a Soap ina Sock party for them.

Dakotha recovers, quits falling, speeding through school zones, etc. is awarded a Rhodes Scholarship, goes on to become a physicist who discovers the Briggs-Straton particle, wins the Nobel Prize for Science, and takes care of you, Tinkerbelle and your Cats for the rest of all of your 9 lives.

Your neighbors grow ears, eyes and brains.

Your cats get well and comfort you.

Your alarm company is deemed liable for the entire amount of the stolen goods.

Your house is chosen for a free "YARD MAKEOVER" TV show.

Your cars are chosen for a free "OVERHAULIN'" on Chip Foose's TV show.

You win the lotto and forget about all of this.

XOXO,

FGTB

Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

redraif

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:37:05 am »
Lol Tim!  :)  oh yeah and don't let me forget... my supposed friends at work ran to the firm manager to say that I have been too distracted lately and they are unhappy.  So I guess telling my "friends" the chaos bit me in the caboose.   So the firm manager came to my boss who came to me.  Wow is all I can say.  Supposedly 6 month's the the number tossed out there.  Ok I will give u 2 months since that was when we left for mustang week and craps has been downhill from there.  But apparently I'm not doing my work.... hmmm.  Pretty sure u get the work back asap.  I have even stayed thru lunch in the past 2 month to help them with their deadlines.  Oh and apparently taking pto time that u have earned to do your appointments when u need too is some big deal.  I figured it was better to take a few short appointments versus a whole day for an appointment, but apparently not.  It makes u unreliable.  Wow... So I guess I can't take time off or have a conversation about anything at work.  Wow and to think I was told if there was an issue they would talk to me directly.  But this route was supposed to make things less awkward.  Oh really?!. 

Drag DR-34s

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:18 am »
It just never ends, does it?  :'(   I've learned with my dealings with insurance companies through the years (& having had ScrewedByinsurance.com up for 4+ years)  that you WILL get screwed by your insurance co. in every way possible. I don't even have insurance for that reason (& I can't afford it).  This is a good reminder for everyone to go through & take photos of EVERYTHING in the house & have anything of value appraised on paper. Also to check your policy - don't believe a damn thing your agent tells you. Also, everyone needs to carry a gun & know how to use it; if you come home to thieves there's a good chance you'll be shot if you don't have anything to defend yourself.
Although I've tried to keep things as simple as possible since my life was ruined by thieves (ins. policy we paid on for over 40 years & never got a DIME from state farm) things have not gone well for me either.  No pets, so I don't have to worry about that. No yard, but the weeds have just about taken over my driveway this summer & now I can't deal with them (heart giving me trouble).  No money for tires, so I've been running dryrotted may-pops for several months, & that finally caught up to me & now I have a bent fender on the little Bimmer (not bad, though).  I expect to have that (tires) taken care of this week (finally got some steady work in). Actually plan to buy adapters & use the new tires/wheels that are currently on the VW project.
I could go on but you get the point.
Hang in there...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »
I Guess It Is True What They Say.
When Something Bad Happens To Somebody, They Can Tell Who Their True Friends Are By Who Steps Up To Help Them.
Like Pat Said If You Need Anything Let Us Know And We Will Be More Then Happy To Help.
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

redraif

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »
Thank you all!    :) 

All this bad luck makes me remember folks talking about the overhaulin curse.  Yikes!  Starting to think there is some truth to it

Drag DR-34s

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 03:34:11 pm »
DAMN!!! It's about time things turned oaround for the better for you! I can't top what FieroGTB said but, Ditto!
And, if you need anything, let us know. I can help with some carpentry work.
Also, if you locate the perps . . . well . . . I can have my people get with your people.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.