Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A Very Interesting Vehicle  (Read 14662 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
A Very Interesting Vehicle
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:02:10 pm »
Last week while bringing one of my dogs back from the Vet, I spotted a car that piqued my curiosity.  I was running along Peachtree Industrial out in Gwinnett County.  A 4-lane road with a grass median, running mostly through industrial parks.  Lots of stop lights. 

The lights gave me the opportunity to get up alongside the car, both while traveling and at rest.  I noticed that it was very quiet for what appeared to be a high performance sports car.  A BMW, no less, with no audible exhaust note.  It remained in the left lane of traffic while I stayed in the right and I paced it for 6 or 7 miles until it turned off at an industrial park in Duluth. 

I did manage to see an exhaust tucked neatly underneath, but still didn't hear the engine roar as you'd expect of an exotic sports car.

Today, I had the opportunity to do some searching to identify the car and this is what I found.  It's a BMW i8.  This is the view that grabbed my curiosity.

I didn't know it had scissor doors until I started searching for images.

The car is made of carbon fiber and glass, assuming that's fiberglass.  It's a mid-engine design and that engine is a 3-cylinder 1.5 liter gasoline engine.  Imagine, an engine that is no larger than 3 bottles of Dasanti Drinking Water.

But that's the backup engine.  The main power plant is up front.  Yes, that's right.  It has two power plants.

Yeah, shake your head and take a closer look.  It's an electric motor.  That's the main power plant.  The gasoline engine is used as a backup source when battery power gets low.  I believe I read that it also recharges the batteries for the electric motor.

Now don't go out and try to grab one to do a 3800SC or LS5 swap.  The base model starts at $135,500.  Coincidentally, when I found the image of the back of the car, I found many more showing the same license plate.  It was the same license plate as that which was on the car I saw. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Very Interesting Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:05:56 pm »
If you see him again, invite him to come on RFTH ;).
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:11:15 pm »
If you see him again, invite him to come on RFTH ;).

Her.  I first saw Her at PIB and Jimmy Carter and followed Her up past your work area.  She turned off at the Shell Station about half way between Abbots Bridge and Rogers Bridge Roads. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:24:20 am »
I like it
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530