Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Not my best week  (Read 13961 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Not my best week
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »
Over the last 7 days, everything has started breaking down.  First, my clothes dryer failed.  So, we bought another.  Not in stock, so I went and got it.  Meanwhile, the furnace started making terrible noises.  So, I took the furnace apart, and discovered that the inducer motor is bad.  This was late Saturday night, so nothing I could do right then, so I ran a space heater.  During the night, the blower motor on the space heater failed.  No inducer motors or space heaters available on Sunday, but I ordered an inducer motor.  It is not possible to get just the motor; the entire assembly must be ordered.  Oh, well.  All that work for nothing.  At least I'll get new bearings.

While working on the newsletter, the hard drive on my laptop died.  Of course, it passes all tests, so the manufacturer refuses to warranty the drive.  No biggie.  I replaced the drive myself, then had to wait for the system to re-image.

Today, I put the new dryer in.  After the first load finished, there was a terrible noise.  Nothing appeared to be wrong, although the dryer had stopped running.  The controls are such that it's difficult to tell if it's waiting for another operation, or everything is finished.  I opened the door, and everything was dry, but closed the door and walked off.  A few minutes later, again that obnoxious noise.

I removed the rear panel of the dryer and disconnected what I believe to be the noise-making culprit.  How annoying!  After running another load, no buzzer sound.

I count:
1. Dryer
2. Furnace
3. Space heater
4. Laptop

Am I still on the first group, or have I moved on to the next group of bad things?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Not my best week
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:41:28 pm »
Mine didn't happen at the same time, but over a wide span.  The air handler motor burned out.  They don't make thos motors amy more.  Unit is only less than 10 years old.  So, the replacement also required an adaptor mount.

Heat Exchanger compressor motor failed.  Had to run on emergency heat strips until a new compressor arrived. 

Our eco-friendly, water conserving clothes washer makes all kinds of noises when it's running.  Sounds something like the beginning of the communication exchange in Close Encounters of The Third Kind. 

The dryer has a function that when it finishes, it will give 3 or 4 sets of 3 beeps.  If you don't go and open the door, it will start running again for a short time, then beep some more.  It will continue doing this for probably an hour or until you open the door.  Took me a while before I finally read the manual and found out how to turn that function off.  Now, when it finishes, it's finished. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
So that's what's going on.  I guess I'll have to figure out how to disable that nonsense, too.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:34:36 pm »
Stator.  That was the bad part on the furnace inducer motor.  All assembled and working, now.