Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Hurricane Zeta  (Read 14366 times)

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Hurricane Zeta
« on: October 31, 2020, 10:22:25 pm »
How did everyone do with hurricane Zeta? My daughter in Atlanta said she had some rough weather and lost power for about 12 hours.  Our power was restored earlier this evening. I live about 20 miles from where it made landfall and things got rough. I evacuated about 30 miles north where there was only some strong winds. When we got back home the morning following the storm this is what we found. Two large trees came down but luckily missed the house. The carport didn't look quite right though! A very large tree was sitting on the roof. There is a tree limb coming thru the roof which would have impaled my wife's 4Runner. The fiero remained safe in the garage. Hope everyone is OK.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Zeta
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 10:34:48 pm »
Glad you are OK.  Too bad about the carport.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:37:41 pm »
Glad you all are ok.  You fared better than many out here.  Some in metro Atlanta suffered some major damage and others still don't have power.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 01:24:32 am »
We were without power for 2 days.  There were a lot of trees down in the area.  Our neighbor across the street had 3 huge pines come down across their driveway and the street.  It took a couple of hours to clear the street and driveway.
We had no trees down or damage on our property.
Sorry to hear of your damage;
Harry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 07:15:41 am »
Good to hear the reports of people being safe.
We had essentially zero damage here. Our power was out for 40 hours. Lots of frozen/refrigerated food got spoiled, but that was about it. (No we didn't open the freezer.)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:17:20 am by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 07:21:54 am »
Since I live in Tornado Alley, I have 2 generators, and 2 inverters.  One generator will power most of the house, including the fridges and HVAC, but not the dryer.  The other generator will power smaller things, like 1 fridge and a space heater.

The inverters are just 15A and 30A, so basically a space heater or two.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 08:22:08 am »
When slash if I ever get to build my new house I’ll be adding a permanent natural gas generator.  My neighbor has one and I’m quite envious.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 09:25:09 am »
The top of my "tent garage", which you can see part of in this picture, was completely shredded. I'm tired of replacing it about once every year, so I have ordered a similar structure, but with a corrugated metal roof.
My power was out from about 3:30 AM until noon. I have a gasoline generator, which I used to power a few necessities until power was restored.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 05:30:46 pm »
Pat, do you have a link to what you ordered?

We had no power about 12 hours.  I rigged up a light with a car battery and a small inverter.  No damage at all, I slept through everything.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 06:45:08 pm »
Went to work Thursday morning, clocked in at 430am. Trip to Alpharetta was a bit breezy, nothing too bad. Lost power at 515, sent the early crew home at 530. Going back up GA400 was a lot different 2 hours later. Trees down on the shoulders, rain coming sideways, so much debris on the road that you couldn't see the lines. Got home, took a nap. Never lost power and the only damage was an old digital TV antenna hot blown off its post.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 08:17:40 pm »
Pat, do you have a link to what you ordered?
From Amazon here. It didn't cost me that much because of some kind of points I had.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 09:00:27 pm »
Thanks pat, I have looked at that one too.  Let me know how you like it.  Amazon has your credit card info and they have authority to apply your credit card points to items bought on amazon if you let them.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:16 am »
My corrugated top replacement for my tent garage arrived the other day, and i already started putting it together. Then I discovered that they sent the wrong one. They sent me a 12 foot wide one instead of the 10 foot wide one I ordered. My concrete driveway that I'm putting it on is only 10 feet wide, but since the only difference between the 10 and 12 foot models is the length of the roof beams, I decided I would just cut them. It's going to work out just fine, and since the 12 foot model comes with more roof panels, I may be able to clad one of the sides with the left-overs.

Cutting one foot off each of these will make it 10 feet wide. Already tried it on one section.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 10:57:22 am »
Aren't the roof panels cut to length from the curved side up to the peak?  Won't you have to cut a foot off each roof panel, too? 

I had considered a similar carport.  Our regulations require it to be of a similar finish as the main structure, meaning I would have to have a lap-style siding on it.  I thought about putting Hardy Plank siding on the outside, then Celotex insulation on the inside between the uprights, and then cover the interior walls to insulate it.  A couple of 20 inch window fans and a 24 inch LED light suspended from the ceiling to cool it in the summer and provide lighting.   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:04:30 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 12:05:32 pm »
The roof panels are installed in the longitudinal direction, spanning from one rib section to the next. It will take fewer of them to go from the peak to the side with the width shortened. The illustration is actually the 15-foot long model, because the rib sections are 5 feet apart. Mine has one more rib section.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:11:23 pm by TopNotch »