Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Front right running lights  (Read 17215 times)

Donster

• View Profile
Front right running lights
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:04:42 pm »
It seems that I have an issue with the front right running lights. All other lights (warning flashers, right turn signals) work. Have all new relays.
Anyone run into this before?

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Front right running lights
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
First of all, what do you mean by "running lights"? Parking lights? Side marker lights?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:23 pm »
Sorry, Fiero terminology isn't my forte.
I assume they are called parking lights; the ones that come on by only pushing the right part of the light switch.
This includes the front right lower light in the fascia and the front right side marker light. They won't come on, but blink when I turn on the directional flasher and even with the hazzards on.
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
It may be a ground wire.  The front park/marker/turnsignal use the same ground.  Each side is separated so there's a ground for the left side and one for the right side.  If you still have your panels off, check to be sure all grounds have good contact.  I believe there's one just inside the front of the nose beside the right headlight.  

BTW, while the front side markers will flash with the turn signals, the rear do not.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:04 pm »
I knew the rear side markers don't flash with the turn signal, but the front was starting to drive me crazy. I'll give the ground issue a try during daylight tomorrow, thnx.

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:10:55 pm »
Referring to your remark about making a fool of yourself--That's how I found out about the rear marker not flashing.  I fought the problem for a couple of weeks before I found out.  That was back in 93 when I got my first Fiero and the only forum I knew of was www.alt.autos.fiero
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:57:27 pm »
 :D
......... and by posting that, you just made me feel better, thnx.

\D
Life is good!

Donster

• View Profile
Front right parking lights won't work!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
New symptom:
As soon as I turn on the lights, the right in-dash turn signal light comes on and stays on, although I didn't turn on the right turn signal.
Now here is the peculiar thing; Emergency flashers work all around, in-dash light stays on solid, right turn signal works (!!!), but the front right running lights won't come on!
Headlights work (with the exception of the front right turn signal light in the fascia), replaced bulbs and checked ground.
Even my interior light under the front hood works

Checked the schematics in the manual, but can't narrow it down to the actual fault.

Anybody have experience with the Fiero’s electrical system??
I'd appreciate some help.

\D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:20:39 pm by The Don »
Life is good!

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »
First, check the bulbs. Then use a test light to make sure power is getting to the socket. Then, as Charlie said, check all the grounds (as in remove & clean them). GM has always been bad about a blown bulb or bad ground making weird feedback things happen.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - R. J. Wiedemann LtCol. USMC Ret

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »
Check the relay mounted on the wall forward of the driver side headlight. The plug on it was loose on that "new" formula I have, and it caused the left turn signal indicator to be on all the time. The hazard flashers worked, but the left turn signal didn't.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »
Thanks all, but I figured it out;
When replacing the front right bulb in the fascia, I noticed that wiggling it caused the side running light to blink, although not very bright.
Took out both sockets and cleaned them thoroughly, making sure the contacts inside are clean. Made sure both filaments were good (swapping left to right helped  ;D), re-cabled the sockets and redid the ground to chassis (used a different location than the original).

Lighting up the street now!
Life is good!