Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Handling issues, 86SE  (Read 17162 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Handling issues, 86SE
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 02:13:56 pm »
I just came back from Northlake Automotive.  Had an alignment done on the 86SE.  This is the 3rd alignment it's had since I've had the car.  The first time a local shop aligned it, I seem to remember that there was only one area that was in the green.  The rear end was still loose.

The second shop that put it on the rack told me that all the ball joints and tie rods that had about a couple hundred miles on them had to be replaced.  And here, I thought Rodney made the best parts.  Needless to say, I didn't trust their diagnostics and was suspicious of their abilities. 

I left that shop and drive directly up to Firestone.  Though they had a lot of red showing in the specs, at least the car would track straight on a good road.  The steering wheel was a little off center and you know what kind of handling I was getting, but it was an improvement over the first alignment it got.

Today, I visited Northlake Automotive.  The tech put it on the rack and he and Michael delved into it.  They found that it needs the upper inner arm bolt and shims replaced in order to bring the front camber into good numbers, and maybe rotate the front Rodney Dickman ball joints. 

The rear originally was showing the right rear camber to be within range.  On the front, only the left front camber was within range.  When I left, Only the left front caster and the right front camber and caster are out of range.  Everything else, front and rear is within range. 

During my test drive around the area of Northlake, I noticed that the car still tracked well.  The steering didn't feel as loose.  The rear felt solidly planted to the pavement as I whipped it side to side.  When coming out of a side street at a traffic light, I gave it a good whip to the left as I rounded the corner.  No tendency to come around.  It's not 100% but now I feel the car is safe enough that someone else can drive it under normal conditions.

On my way home, I gave it a little tryout on some of the local roads.  I'm happy to say that I think I just might take it on a Rerun For The Hills, should we get enough persons interested.

Thank you, Mike and your alignment tech.  Sorry, my invoice doesn't show his name. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 02:28:11 pm »
I'm happy that you finally got it sorted. (I missed your Sept 30th posts.)
Never would have thought that those fasteners would have made that much of a difference but, obviously, I would have been wrong. :D
Kudos to Mike and his tech!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 04:00:52 pm »
It isn't fully sorted and I don't think we have the final answer, yet, but it was a big step forward.  Not going to throw it into a curve like I do the 87.  At least, not right away. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »
Glad it's getting better.

I have a suspicion that, when you drove it between shops, things would move a bit, resulting in different readings.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 07:54:33 pm »
After yesterday's RFTH 23 Rerun, I think I can say that the handling problem has been pretty much resolved.

A very wet day.  Lots of leaves and occasional dirt on the road.  Old tires that are nearing the end of their tread life.  I only had 2 little bobbles and that was due to the aforementioned leaves and dirt.  Others said they had the same result at various points.

The car stuck to the curves very well.  It felt very solid.  Most of the time, I kept up with the 85GT ahead of me, being that both were of the same body and power.  Once the loose strut was tightened and a good Northlake Automotive alignment was done, I feel it's safe to drive again.  Thanks MikeMack. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 10:08:45 pm »
Glad to read this, and to close this issue.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 07:31:47 am »
Well done.  Confidence reinstated? I am sure this will increase with use.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 09:20:33 pm »
Now that your handling issues have been fixed, I think you're missing an exhaust spring on the left side of the muffler.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:41:56 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »
I'll have to check when it's warm and dry.  I have a ton of the springs.  Right now, I'm in need of a muffler.  See The Market.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 10:12:52 pm »
Hmmm.  I should've kept mine.  Nothing wrong with it, except I was replacing the whole exhaust.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 10:42:24 pm »
How was the handling on the Polar Bear Run?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 10:50:25 pm »
The Polar Bear Run is just a casual drive.  Nothing to put the ars through their paces.  At one point before we got broken up by traffic lights and stop signs, we had a string of cars well over a mile long.  I know some of the people on side roads that were trying to enter the main road were getting frustrated at their long wait, but I hope they enjoyed the parade of classic cars. 

When we did the RFTH rerun, it handled very well.  Never gave me any reason to be concerned. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:39 pm »
Great!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2019, 12:15:57 pm »
Don't Sit Under The Cherry Tree With Anyone Else But Me.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2019, 12:18:45 pm »
You just need Herbie on the other side.

Don't leave the Fiero under that tree.  Those blossoms will be a pain to clean out, later.