Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)  (Read 60300 times)

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Re: Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »
Coming up fast.  I have ordered some beautiful weather, and it should be delivered just in time for the run.  I will be there in the convertible, and Colin will most likely be there in his "new" 85 GT.  But...we are interested in meeting up with the group a little further north...possibly as far north as Franklin?  What is the current plan for where we are going?

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »
You'll have to wait for Fierofool to answer that.

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:06 pm »
My planned schedule is to leave Oakwood, Exit 16 off I-985, Mundy Mill Road at the QT station by 9am.  We should pass through Clayton sometime about 10am.  We'll keep moving and go on up to Dillard to refuel.  We should be in Dillard about 10:30.

From Dillard we'll go on up to Franklin, NC and going up the long hill just before US 441 intersects Hwy 64, there a place called The Fun Factory on the right of the highway.  Kind of hard to see unless you know where it is, so just look for the Advance Auto Parts on the left.  The Fun Factory is almost straight across the road.  If you miss it, turn in at the Huddle House and follow the street around to the back of The Fun Factory.  We will be stopping there for discussion.  Should be there around 11am. 

From The Fun Factory, we'll continue, crossing over the bridge over Hwy 64 and going on up into Franklin and stopping at the Franklin Inn for discussion. 

Then we'll take Hwy 28 North and go to Fontana Village for the next stop.  We will end our scouting trip in Telico Plains and head back down Hwy 68 toward Ducktown and Copper Hill, Tn.

Edit to add that we'll be having lunch in the Wildwood Grill at Fontana Village. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:16:49 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:20 am »
OK...looks like Colin and I will meet up with you at the Fun Factory.  Chris will not be able to make it with his Lotus, but he will join us for the actual run.  We will break away from you again at Telico Plains.  From there, we have a tough decision to make.  It is almost equal time to get home via the Cherohala Skyway or through the Dragon.  You know those "lesser of two evil" decisions you run into so often?  Nice to have the opposite once in a while.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 08:13:10 am »
Trying to keep you out of 'Evil's Way' how would the time be if you followed us back down 68 to Ducktown and picked up 64? 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:38 am »
That would at 1 minute and 8 miles to what we would spend on the Dragon.  Is there something there worth skipping the Dragon for?  I should also consider that i would be running the Dragon uphill...which isn't exactly the strong side of the duke/auto.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 08:12:13 am »
Most definitely there's something there worth skipping the dragon for.  You'll get to spend more time with US   :D :D

If you follow us up to Telico Plains you'll have to go up 360 to 411 then come back across 72 to get to The Dragon. 

Remember, warn Colin that he should never touch the yellow line while driving on The Dragon.  For safety and for ticketing purposes.  After you've warned him, warn him again.  And again.  I guess that would really apply to any of the bike roads up there. 

HarryT and Karin, haven't heard from you guys in a while.  You joining us? 

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »

ROADSIDE SERVICE VEHICLE FOR SATURDAY, MAY 19 SCOUTING RUN:

I am going downstairs to pack up the Saturn Roadside Service Vehicle for tomorrow's RFTH Scouting Run.

I'm heading straight to bed after that, so I won't be back on-line tonight or tomorrow morning before I leave, so if you need to reach me, call me on my cell:  Four-O-4  then  8-One Five,   then     7     Seven     One     Five.

Rockin' Roger will be my co-pilot, and the Saturn will be loaded to the brim with safety cones and flashers, oil, coolant, brake fluid, tools, a few common spare parts, you-name-it to accomondate roadside repairs and keep the convoy rollin'.

Our motto is "No Fiero Left Behind." ;- )

I've funded the purchase of everything, so the only thing I ask is that anything you use (other than our human help), you replace or reimburse me for at-cost...  if and when you can.

RR and I are mtg for breaksfast at the waffle house next door to the QT about an hour early tomorrow, if anyone wants to join us, you'll be welcomed!

Best,
FGTB
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:03 pm »
Sorry, but Anne & I have to pass this one up.
From what I heard, HarryT & Karin will join you.

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
Well, Dang!  The whole purpose of the trip was centered around you so you could make some decisions about the run and location.  What's happening?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »
Well, the VP will be there. I'll help make decisions.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:09 am »
We will meet you guys in Clayton around 10.  Sorry to hear Don and Anne won't be able to make it. :'(
Harry and Karin
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »
Let us be the first to say what a wonderful route Charlie laid out.  We had a great time and the restaurant we found will definately be a future stop for us if we are in that area.
Thanks all for the fun day.  There were no mechanical breakdowns and great weather.  We ran into rain after we left the group just before Blairsville but it was dry as we got closer to home.
Hope y'all enjoyed the day as much as we did.
Harry and Karin
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:53 am »
Wanted to let everyone know we made it home ok...but I am far too tired to post pics tonight.  I am going to bed, and will sleep till the wee hours of the afternoon.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:28 am »
Here are a few pictures...
Grandson Jason was about to shoo a gnat here...

How to take aerial pictures:

I can't wait to see those pics!

The scenery was beautiful...

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.