Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Inventor forge?  (Read 14808 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Inventor forge?
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »
Has anyone ever used inventor forge?

One of their workspaces is moving into our office building.  So far, they're just building workbenches, but I'm curious what they'll put into the 2500 square feet of office space they're leasing.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Inventor forge?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »
I've never heard of them.  What is their focus?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:33:28 pm »

This is one.

Inventor Forge Makerspace serves as a creative ideas lab and creation space for any age. This new makerspace provides access to tools and project work-space for members, conducts basic, intermediate and advanced technology classes, as well as hosting fun activities like multiplayer videogame parties and board game nights. Inventor Forge is always looking for new members interested in STEM/STEAM or who just need a place to do a project.

Inventor Forge’s mission is to promote an interest in and knowledge of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math and is a registered 501(c)(3) Non-Profit serving St. Charles County and surrounding areas. Become a member to help, learn, or make!

Apparently, you pay for a subscription.

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »
My employer has a "makerspace" near our corporate headquarters.

If you have an idea for an improvement to a process, or machine, or just want to learn about a new technology which could be beneficial for the company, but don't have the tools or knowledge, you can schedule a time. They will have people within the company who know how to do/make/build things onsite.

You go with your ideas, they discuss the ideas with you, then if it appears feasible, will help you design, build, and implement the concepts to benefit the company. The space has the tools and materials, as well as the people who can help.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:13:51 pm »
Kind of like an incubator. Pretty cool, but how long until they're sued out of existence for stealing someone's idea?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »
You go with your ideas, they discuss the ideas with you, then if it appears feasible, will help you design, build, and implement the concepts to benefit the company. The space has the tools and materials, as well as the people who can help.

Great!  I'd like one of these:

Not my idea or sketch, though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:50:39 pm by tshark »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:00 pm »
InventorForge is moving forward.  We have table saws with full tables, routers, 3D printers, laser cutters, wide format printers, sewing machines, grinders, programmable drill presses with fully articulating vise/base, workbenches, a basic machine shop with equipment that will cut your design, then text you when it's complete, various saws, lots of drills, sanders, and we're about to add lathes and mitre saws.

I use the pronoun ”we”, because, once a tenant moves in, they're part of ”us”.  I have to promote them, be available to assist as needed, and be a liaison to local resources.  We helped them fund and purchase the equipment.

My reservations concern having particulate-creating machinery in the same room/airspace as the 3D printers and sewing machines.  But what do I know?

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 06:49:46 am »

Wow, where were They 40 years ago when My Brain was in High Gear.  I support that Venue. I still have Million Dollar Ideas, but being my age I know to to Concernd with Patents and Law Suits.