Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Melanie  (Read 17352 times)

Drewbdo

• View Profile
Re: My Melanie
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 01:02:53 pm »
Charlie,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  :'(

I'm sure you and your daughter will have many special memories to look back on in the days ahead. I'll be praying for you during this time.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:12 am »
On Mother's Day, outside the windows where Melanie spent her days.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 06:50:55 pm »
Nice, but what is the blue funnel on the pole?

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 06:58:22 pm »
I guess you dont feed birds in your backyard.  That a shield so the birds get the seed and not the squirrles

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2018, 07:10:57 pm »
My kids put bird seed all over the picnic table, which didn't make me happy.  We used to have a hummingbird feeder and a purple martin house, and a thing with suet in it.  We get owls, hawks, goldfinches, various swallows, cardinals, and some other birds.  No bluejays, pidgeons, or crows.

The dog kills the squirrels and the rabbits.  And the moles.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 07:58:10 pm »
Yes, it's a squirrel guard of sorts.  It wasn't really effective as the squirrels would manage to climb the post and get around the funnel.  Then they would lift the roof off the feeder and sit inside and eat the seed.  Ray solved the problem of them climbing the post by giving it a good coating of black wheel bearing grease.  That stuff just won't melt away in the sun. 

Then I caught a squirrel sitting in the feeder again and couldn't figure how he managed to get up the pole.  When I went out to shoo him away, I noticed his little black footprints.  You see, inside that bunch of lilies is a big flower pot about 2 1/12 feet high.  It is the origin of all these lilies, having had just 1 planted in it from a potted plant from a funeral. 

Anyway, there were little black footprints all over the lip of that flower pot.  The squirrel found that he couldn't climb the greased pole, so he got on the flower pot and jumped.  But we don't have problems with squirrels anymore since a black Tom Cat took up with Ray.  He hides in the lilies or irises or daffodils, whichever is in season and waits for the squirrels to come to him.  Once the flowers are gone, he hides in the fire bushes you see along the left.  Sometimes he gets a meal he doesn't have to fight when doves walk in to eat the seeds that fall on the ground.

The feeder was placed there for Melanie to enjoy her beloved Cardinals.  Sometimes there would be a dozen or more sitting in the cherry tree, awaiting their turn at the feeder. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 08:39:21 pm »
Lots of animals don't bother me:

I need one for the front yard.

My flowers are wilting, but the weeds are growing.

Actually, my yard is growing like a chia-pet.  I have to mow twice a week.

I don't know what happened the the iris, the hyacinth, the hydrangea, or the dwarf burning bush.  The daffodils and tulips are done for the year.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:27 pm »
A wonderful celebration, last night.  More than 20 family, friends, Fiero and church people came.  I and my daughter thank each and every one of you.  We plan on doing this every year, so if you couldn't make it this time, put it in your calendar for May 2, 2019.

Or May 4th.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2019, 08:45:10 am »
Yes.  This year we will be celebrating her birthday on Saturday, May 4. 

The Iris's are about to go away and the Lilies are about to come into bloom.