Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Need Shift Select Cable 87 v-6 5 speed  (Read 18165 times)

GMguy1987

• View Profile
Need Shift Select Cable 87 v-6 5 speed
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:21 pm »
Just wondering if anyone out there has a select cable they would like to part with? I'm just south of Atlanta but can come pick it up if needed. I really would prefer not to pay the $119.95 that the fiero store wants for one! Y'all drop me a line if you can help!
Jeremy

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need Shift Select Cable 87 v-6 5 speed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:29 pm »
If you do get a new one, get it from Rodney Dickman. His are much better, and his select cable is only $89.95.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »
that might not be a bad idea! I've been hearing that his parts in a lot of cases tend to be better. I bought a replacement for my blown factory subwoofer from the fiero store and was not impressed at all. I think it actually sounded worse than the blown one I replaced! I have heard from several people that the one from Rodney Dickman is much better!  Thank you for the tip!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:50:58 pm »
Check with Aerodonamic at att dot net   He may have one and could bring it to the meeting, Saturday.  I have one of Rodney's on my 87 and it works flawlessly. 

I have one of Rodney's that I removed from my car.  It was one of the earlier designs with the hollow shaft ball stud.  The ball stud shaft broke off.  If you have the ball stud, and would like, I'll bring this to the meeting. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:52:06 pm »
oh yea, Don Hulse. I have dealt with him before! Good guy! Anyhow I do appreciate the advice, I went ahead and ordered the part from Rodney Dickman. Can't wait til it comes in so I can get back on the road!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »
When you get your replacement cable, would you sell me the ball stud where it attaches at the transmission?  That would make the one I have serviceable again. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 09:45:26 am »
I'll give it to you. Send my a PM with your name and address and I'll drop it in the mail! Let me just find where I put the thing!
Jeremy

carnut122

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »
So, how is the quality on Rodney's $89.00 cable?  I need to get one, but I've been putting it off.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:00:20 am »
They are extremely good.  They even have the mylar insulation on them.  It's better than the original factory insulation.  My first cable had his old style ball stud.  In order to make it the length we needed, he drilled and tapped a threaded rod and screwed the ball stud into it.  That threaded rod portion inserted into the hole in the transmission lever and the nut was tightened down on the underneath side.  Being hollow, mine rung off.  Maybe I put a little too much UMPH on it, but a solid bolt wouldn't have broken.  He's changed the design of the ball stud.   You will need to save the body pass-thru grommet from the old cable.  Rodneys doesn't come with that grommet. 

Both cables were smooth and worked flawlessly.  They are preadjusted to the correct length.  There are several others who make the cables, but you often need to adjust them to obtain proper shifting. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:45:32 am »
GMguy, did you ever send that ball stud?  Just wondering if it went to the wrong place. 

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:09 pm »
I have not had the chance to roll by the post office this week. I will get it to you for certain soon. Would you have any license plate lamp housings? mine are broken.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:35 am »
There's no hurry for the ball stud.  I just wanted to let you know that I hadn't received it, so that was why I hadn't sent a Thanks.  I have a problem with my mail going several streets away, and theirs comes here. 

I don't have any license plate lights, but there are several Fieros in the Buford Highway and Lithonia pullapart yards.  They might have some.  All year lights are the same. 

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:19 pm »
i need to go check again, last time I went most of the fieros there were in rough shape. I know the one in louisville, KY usually had around 10 or so fieros. might be worth a parts gathering trip

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »
Instead of going to Kentucky go to Robs... ;D
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:01:05 am »
this is a true a true statement.... Bought half my car from him.....Literally ha ha ha ha