Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero Store BumpSteer kit????  (Read 17537 times)

GMguy1987

• View Profile
Fiero Store BumpSteer kit????
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »
Just was looking thru the fiero store catalog and the bumpsteer eliminator kit for the rear seemed to catch my eye. A bit pricey I admit but has anyone out there installed one of these? Any thoughts one way or the other or possibly a cheaper alternative??? Just trying to figure oput if it is worth the money, also if I buy 1" lowering springs will I still me able to get my camber adjusted correctly on my 87 or will I have to go with an aftermarket upper ball joint???

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fiero Store BumpSteer kit????
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:34 pm »
This company has one for only $120. I don't know what's involved in it, though.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:15:20 pm »
i just wondered if there really is a point in doing this install. I know my fiero sometimes feels kinda squirrely when making a quick maneuver at high speed. Such as a last minute swerve to miss a piece of truck tire. is this due to bump steer or something else. I have good ball joints and bushings as well as good engine and trans mounts and the car drives nicely otherwise. Anyone else out there experience the same issue?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:46:57 pm »
Low profile tires will help get the squirrel(ly) or fish(tail) out of quick maneuvers.  If you're running stock tires, adding about 5 psi will help to stiffen the side walls.  If you're running the original shocks and struts, just replacing them will do wonders as long as the rest of the drivetrain is tight. 

Removing the front sway bar, moving it to the rear and replacing the front with a larger sway bar will also help to stabilize the car in quick maneuvers and curves.  Many say that you need to learn to drive the car again because it makes a big change in the handling.  By replacing the front with a larger sway bar, and moving the smaller stock bar to the rear, you help to retain some of the same handling characteristics of weight transfer while reducing the amount of roll in turns. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:10:30 am »
thanks for the tip! I actually bought a rear sway bar from the fiero store last year and that did help a lot, I've also just bought some new Falken directional tires, same size as stock. The one thing I haven't changed is my shocks and struts. I work at Auto Zone so I get a big discount on Gabriel shocks and struts but I want to put the best on the car for my money. Any recommendations??

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:24:05 am »
I've got Sachs on the front and rear of an 86 and they're pretty good for over the counter.  You said the car gets a little loose on quick maneuvers, is the FS rear sway bar the same diameter as the front? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:01:27 pm »
i believe it is at least the same diameter and has poly bushings as well it really helped a lot but as I said I had to make a quick maneuver on the interstate a time or two and it scared the hell out of me, I may need to check my alignment again. I know how critical it is on the rear especially