Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Tech Advice?? Hard start Vortec 350  (Read 14954 times)

GMguy1987

• View Profile
Tech Advice?? Hard start Vortec 350
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:25:08 am »
Although this is not fiero related I have a 96 K1500 Z71 I am trying to diagnose. So the story goes my friend uses this as a hunting truck. He got it stuck in the mud one day and then later pressure washed the engine off. Since then I have a hard starting situation only when the engine is cold. I have to turn the engine over and over to get it to finally start when cold. When it's hot it starts right up. When cold I can spray a little starting fluid in the intake and it fires right up. I have checked TPS voltage, fuel pressure, and have changed plugs, cap and rotor. All of those readings are normal. I have replaced the coolant temp sens and tried a known good MAP sensor. Still the same result. I have also replaced the oil pressure switch. No change. I'm down to concluding that maybe it's the vortec(spider) injector module as I know these things are problematic. Does anyone have any insight on this issue??? I am about damn near hands tied otherwise. the truck has about 250,000 miles and runs great otherwise. HELP!!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Tech Advice?? Hard start Vortec 350
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »
I'm not really familiar with the engine, but have you tried the crankshaft sensor?  It's a possibility with that many miles.  I suggest this due to my experience with a Grand Am.  It had nearly 300K miles and was very hard to start when cold, but would usually fire right off when warmed up.  It could have also been damaged by mud, depending upon how deep it got stuck.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers