Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Dog bones  (Read 14666 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Dog bones
« on: December 26, 2019, 08:08:46 am »
Montegut,

The dog bones were different lengths.  If your mounts are all good, you can use a shorter dog bone.  See the November newsletter, where the shorter dog bones and the slotted dog bones were covered.

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Dog bones
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 01:18:22 am »
Just got to read the November newsletter. Great write up on the various dogbones.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 08:06:22 am »
Thanks.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:33:13 am »
Montegut, if you think you have the original on your car, look to see if it has the rib on the section between the bushings.  85-86 have it and can be rebushed.  Though 87-88 should be identical length, supposedly they cant be rebushed.  Center to center is 4 inches.  I don't know if they look different, or not.

The shorter doggone comes from a fwd vehicle and is about 3 inches center to center.

Deslyper,  TopNotch and Roger, would you check yours, too?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:58:20 am »
The problem is, the dogbone in his Fiero is longer.  Montegut had previously stated that he doesn't need a dogbone.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:15:11 am »
I understood that he had one and didn't need another, however, I don't know if he has a stock engine or not. 

A dogbone discussion on PFF , where I got the above information from, says that similar-looking dogbones of varying length come from other GM FWD cars.  I suppose they may be longer or shorter. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 05:53:54 pm »
The stock Fiero dogbones also differed in length.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:04:15 pm »
Just checked and my 87 is 4 inches bolt to bolt

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 06:05:56 pm »
Centers, or actually between?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:42:26 pm »

The forward dog bone bushing looks bad.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 11:03:14 pm »
It does look to be damaged but it's not enough to allow that much difference.  In the PFF discussion, Ogre aptly noted that forcing the engine that far can put undue stress on otherwise good mounts down below.  When I installed my dogbone, I only had to move my motor a fraction of an inch.  The bolt almost went in without moving the engine. 

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 11:39:44 am »
GTRS, I guess I dont understand what you mean.  I said 4 inches bolt to bolt.  Which in your picture yours looks 3 inches bolt to bolt

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 01:01:24 pm »
Bolt to bolt or center to center on the same piece should give the same measurement.  When something like the dogbone is bolted in place, I try to rotate the bolts around so the flats are parallel with one another.  That way you can get a precise measurement that is equal to center to center.  That is, if you measure from the same sides of the bolt heads rather than between them. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »
Well, that is montegut's picture.  Per montegut, the TFS dog bone on the left in the image is 4" between bolt centers.  That is the correct length for a stock dog bone.  The details on the dog bone on the right side (installed) in the image are detailed on page 8 of the November newsletter.  I currently have 3 TFS dog bones, and did have 2 additional TFS dog bones, previously.  These dog bones were purchased over the course of 7 years.  The TFS dog bones are all 4" between bolt centers.  I believe I included images in the newsletter to show how the measuring was done.  The picture above is reduced in size.

My question was to clarify, because some people measure differently, inside, center, or outside.  "Bolt to bolt", to me, is measured on the inside edge of the bolts.