Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New Atlanta Guy  (Read 18248 times)

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
Re: New Atlanta Guy
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2020, 08:26:29 am »
Going to look at a Formula today up in Tennessee.  It is not "the one" but looks to be a good car.  The negatives: automatic and of course its red, also radio, cruise and e-brake don't work, needs shock isolators rubber is bad and a few small things.  The mediocre: he said it was repainted but he did not feel it was a good job, called it a 20 footer.  The positives lifetime GA/TN rust free car, super clean interior, 60,000 on the clock, 78 year old enthusiast owner has had for 4 years, third fiero he's owned and just too old to build it as he wants it to be (wanted to build a show car when he got it), he's done a little work and its ready to drive he uses it weekly, priced under $3000.  If its a good one I will just get it and use till I find a black 5 speed and hand it off to the kids when it is their time.  Ill post pics when I get back.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:24 am »
In that cosmetic condition, it sounds a little high priced, but good luck. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2020, 06:23:15 pm »
Somebody bought a gallon of paint and they were bound and determined to use all of it!  The whole car looked like this up close, but as he said from 20 feet away....

Horns broken, turn signal/cruse stalk broken and gorilla glued and taped together.

Started well but idle would not come down, TPS was broken and gorilla glued in place and screws were stripped.  No smoke from tail pipe, original cat in place, no gunk in tail pipes, good motor.  Had some rust in trunk corners, two holes each side nearly same spots and on suspension, I think it sat in a field or on grass way too long.  Engine rocked a ton putting in and out of gear, rubbers were all shot and had to assume suspension rubbers were all bad too.   Trunk full of water because wing bolts broken off, cockpit carpet wet under seats as dew wipes non-existent.  Seats were cherry, all interior plastics were coming apart at the seams.  Tires had to be 15 years old, like new tread wise but cracked all to hell.  Pretty much a parts car or resto project as far as I was concerned.   After 5 min I knew it was not the car for me but I kept telling him everything that was up with it so he'd know, decent fellow.  Didn't bother driving it, but damn it felt good to sit in the seat, I'm totally hooked again!

Throttle was real stiff, is this normal or a bad cable issue?

Not a total wasted trip, I got to spend some road trip time with my friend, got some good food at a diner along the way, got to check out a car with no pressure of buying.  The search continues

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2020, 06:31:57 pm »
Very disheartening that a Fiero is in such condition.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2020, 10:00:58 pm »
Yeah... I'd have let that one go, too. Sorry.
Aside from all of the other stuff, it probably would have cost you another $3-4K to get the paint sorted. It's easier to paint over a (dead) factory finish, than it is to paint over a repaint.