Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Parts Question 88 Duke  (Read 14317 times)

Donster

• View Profile
Parts Question 88 Duke
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:39 am »
What is the part called directly under the TBI and to the right of the ignition module on the 88 Duke?It has 3 electrical connectors.
Today I noticed that 2 of the wires were not connected and tried to slip them on. Since then................car won't start anymore. :-(
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Parts Question 88 Duke
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:46:00 am »
Pat would likely know, but in the meantime I'm going to take a WAG.  To the right of the ignition module/coil pack might be the crankshaft sensor. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:54 am »
Thanks Charlie, but the crank position sensor only has 2 electrical (inside/female) connectors. This thing has 3 male connectors.
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:41:43 am »
I'm having trouble picturing exactly what you mean, The only thing directly to the right of the ignition module with wires on it is the oil pressure sender. I'm assuming that by "to the right of", you mean towards the passenger side of the car.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:45:40 am »
Just looked at a pic of an oil pressure sender, that seems to be it. Thanks Pat.
Can a faulty oil pressure sender cause the engine to not start?
Cranks fine, but won't fire up.
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:14:06 pm »
I've heard of some bad senders messing up things if connected. I'd have to refer to the wiring diagrams to know exactly what's going on.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:17:09 pm »
Don't know what two wires were not connected, but I'm guessing that, if it's the oil pressure sender, one of them is 12V. If that was connected to the wrong place, you probably blew the fuel pump fuse.
It's a dark red fuse. (20A?)
If you reach under the dash, it'll be the second fuse from the left, in the row closest to you.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 03:50:19 pm »
Don't know what two wires were not connected, but I'm guessing that, if it's the oil pressure sender, one of them is 12V. If that was connected to the wrong place, you probably blew the fuel pump fuse.
As I slipped a disc, I had to wait for our son to come by and crawl in there to check/replace the fuse. Just as Raydar said, second one from the left in the top row, it was blown.
Inserted a new 10 A fuse and she started right up. Thanks Steve!
But I must admit, some things are coming back to me now. Considering, I hadn't touched a Fiero in almost 6 years. For one thing, I should have known to check fuel pump, because had I paid better attention, I would have heard that the pump did not run for a few seconds after I turned on the ignition. Dead give-away.
But hey, I've got time to learn again.As to why I could not recognize the part (Oil Pressure Sender), I'll be starting a new thread on that.

Thanks again all.

\D
Life is good!