Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 22971 times)

Pegasus

• View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:54:56 am »
I recently purchased my first Fiero! It's (was) a red 85 GT.
I almost had a gold notchback as my first car but it was sold out from under me 7 years ago and I've been wanting one ever since. I found this for $600, the owner claimed the only problem was what sounded exactly like the TCC solenoid, but sitting outside for 2 years didn't do it any favors.

jwrape

• View Profile
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:31 am »
welcome!!!
86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »
Yes, Welcome!  Where are you located?  Need any help or parts for the car?  Lots of us have spare parts and can lend a hand or technical advice. 

Is the car running, or do you need anything? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:02:17 pm »
yeah if ya need some help let any of us know!

Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »
It's not running. It needed a new battery, so i got one and then the fuel pump wasn't running, so i replaced it and the fuel filter, but still no go. I'm going to try to troubleshoot it tomorrow, but beside's replacing the pump and alternator  on my C1500, I'm pretty new to non-routine maintenance.
So far, all I've done is replaced the seats (no more speakers), changed the oil, and cleaned out 10 lbs. of pine straw.
I already have a new TCC solenoid, and salvaged the seats, trim panels for speakers behind the seats, headliner, trim bezels, third taillight, and an aux. gauge cluster from a fastback.
There was some wiring im going to need help on for sure, including the cooling fan only runs by a toggle switch on the center console.
I live in Carrollton, but the Fiero is stuck in Bremen until i can get it to run.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »
well does it crank over like the starter works? And i assume it doesnt even start running? Or does it start and die after a little? If you covered the pump and filter id 1. make sure the pump is giving pressure to the line. 2. check all the parts for spark. easy steps for now!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:25:32 pm »
First, the fuel pump:

When you turn on the ignition, can you hear the fuel pump run or the relay click?  The relay on the 85 is between the air filter canister and the driver's back.  Looking into the engine bay with the filter canister removed, there are 2 identical relays bolted to the fire wall.  The one to the right is the fuel pump relay.  Put your fingers on it and have someone turn the ignition to the ON position.  You should feel it click if it's good.  If not, swap the two relays and see if the other one clicks.  If not, check the Fuel Pump fuse.  If the fuse is good, apply power to either of the terminals of the harness that's attached to the side of the deck lid hinge.  The pump should run.  Also, you can apply power to the B terminal of the fuel pump relay.  The pump should run.  If not, the fuel pump or circuit is bad.

Second, B Pillar speakers:

The 85 isn't built to accept B pillar speakers.  There is a recess in 86 and later B pillars.  That recess is absent in the 84 and 85 chassis.  If you must have speakers up there, small surface mounted speakers set on the ledge against the window and B Pillar would work. 

Third, Third Brake Light:

The 84 and 85 isn't wired for a 3rd brake light.  I'm not even sure that the space frame has the tapped screw holes to bolt it up. 

Fourth, Pine Straw:

One place commonly overlooked and the result of more fires in cars that have been parked is the heater/ac ballast.  It's located just to the passenger side of the receiver-dryer and the coil inserts into the intake air duct.  It has a 4 wire harness and is held in place by 2 screws.  This ballast heats red hot when activated and it's a favorite place for mice to build their nests and it's a good hanging point for leaves and debris.  Remove it and clean the area thoroughly. 

Fifth, Service Manual:

Get yourself the biggest thickest Haynes Manual you can find, not the smaller hand book version.  It will prove to be valuable throughout the duration of your Fiero ownership. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:59:54 am »
You can get the factory service manual in PDF form here. He doesn't have the 85 service manual, so get the 86.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:45:57 am »
I don't  hear the pump run and I don't think the relay clicks. There is a clicking noise, but it comes from next to the trunk from what looks like a coffee can (egr system was my guess)

I know the third brake light wired, but i like the look,  and want to try to put it in, would it be too much work?

I hadn't decided whether to do the pillar speakers or behind the seats, but i guess that makes that easier.

The car came with a Haynes manual with the '88 section, which i assume is the thick one?
Also, it came with a new water pump and an extra intake if I need to make a trade for parts.

Thanks for the heads up on the ballast, Ill do that right away.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
The coffee can is the cruise control vacuum can.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »
There is a dump solenoid at the end of the vacuum canister.  It's part of the cruise control system and it's supposed to click when you turn the ignition on.

You would need to feed a wire from underneath the dash, either through the console, across to the side and up and over to the 3rd brake light, or remove the headliner and run it through there.  You may still be able to find one that suction cups to the back window because as I said, I don't believe there's provisions to attach it into the roof. 

I'd check the fuel pump fuse and all fuses first, then the relay.  If the system is holding good pressure, you may only hear the click the first time the ignition is turned on. 

Depending upon how tall you are, speakers mounted on the back wall might interfere with the seat reclining.  The tweeters high frequency response would be asorbed if pointed at the back of the seats.  The 86-88 B pillar speakers are pointed at the opposite sides of the car, near the back of your head.  Inside, the B pillar mounting surface and plate are slightly angled forward, since high frequency is directional.  In reality, this points them at the head of the person on the opposite side of the car. 

You've got a few great people out your way.  Aerodonamic is one of our resident mechanics.  He's off Chapel Hill Road.  Raydar is very knowledgeable of the Fiero and modifications.  He's also in Douglasville, but on the North side of I-20.  BristowB is up in the Dallas/Hiram area and he, too is pretty knowledgeable. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:44:21 pm by Fierofool »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 05:06:58 pm »
Have you tried connecting 12v to pin G of the ALDL connector? That goes directly to the fuel pump, not through any relays. If it runs when you do that, try starting with the 12v applied.

Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:23 am »
A few pics:

Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:36 am »
I put voltage at the fuel pump harness against the fire wall and it ran. After that, it runs when I turn the switch on and it sounds like it runs for a few seconds after I stop cranking. Still no fuel getting to the engine though. I'm going to make sure that I didn't accidentally switch the two hoses that are the same size when I dropped the tank.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:07 am »
Right after attempting to start, depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail. If gas squirts out, the fuel lines are probably correct.