Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fire at Galaxy Diner  (Read 17132 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fire at Galaxy Diner
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 01:29:14 pm »
The Galaxy Diner gives free lunches to first responders, including fire fighters, so they should have no problem getting signed off to re-open.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 02:09:49 pm »
While I commend the diner for doing the free lunches to first responders, I wouldn't agree with the expecting premium treatment as a result.

We used to do the police department IT work at cost (materials) per the manager, with the idea that they'd reciprocate on tickets and such.  They did not reciprocate, by any stretch of the imagination.  Even when they were getting this free service, they were belligerant, complained about having to wait their turn, etc.  They did abuse this benefit, having us work for free on their personal computers, their family's computers, and their friends' computers.  When that manager was demoted, I was put in charge.  I ended the policy, which caused the police to complain to corporate.  The previous manager was fired.

If I am ever called to the carpet, there is no quid pro quo.  I expect the king treatment, and think everyone should get the king treatment.  Where I said I would do something, I did it.  I always did a bit extra.  I don't give special treatment, or owe anyone special treatment.  Our clients get timely, professional service, and most of them think they're our only client.  Similarly, if I'm caught speeding, for example, I expect to get a ticket.  Not harassed.  No special treatment.  Just a professional job.  I haven't had to deal much with fires.  I really only deal with the firefighters on the radio, although one of our clients does training for firefighters.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:48:17 am by tshark »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »
It will be the State Fire Marshall's office that will do the inspection, not the local fire department.  Of course, there will be the local code enforcement and building inspectors enforcing building codes, but it's the State Fire Marshall's office that gives final approval for Certificate of Occupancy.  In an instance like this a new Certificate of Occupancy must be obtained because the building is now not fit for occupancy. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:23:32 pm »
tshark... I was looking for details about the fire (nothing that hasn't been posted here, already) and found their website, again.
http://www.galaxydineratlanta.com/  They have a menu and other stuff, if you're interested. (Really wish they served Mexican on the weekends.)

Regarding the IT stuff... I worked at Motorola for ten years. Fixed Dekalb county's (among others) radios and systems.
Have been doing telecommunications at the power company since I left there. (25 years.)
I'll bet we could share some interesting war stories.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:14 pm »
tshark... I was looking for details about the fire (nothing that hasn't been posted here, already) and found their website, again.
http://www.galaxydineratlanta.com/  They have a menu and other stuff, if you're interested. (Really wish they served Mexican on the weekends.)

Regarding the IT stuff... I worked at Motorola for ten years. Fixed Dekalb county's (among others) radios and systems.
Have been doing telecommunications at the power company since I left there. (25 years.)
I'll bet we could share some interesting war stories.

Probably will, but my stories (or perhaps my telling of them) is generally boring.

I looked through that menu, and a plainer one I had found online.  I make one Fiero thing a year, usually.  The plan is for Fierorama this year, the 35th, then Frazee (I want to meet Danyel). After that, perhaps.  I just can't justify 17 hours' drive, otherwise.  My wife and I work opposite schedules, so I try to be home when she is.  I take plenty of day trips, but usually 7-8 hours in length, max.

Look at it this way: PFF is a very different place from this.  You'll know me fairly well here, by the time we meet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:46:09 am by tshark »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
I keep forgetting that you are *hours* away from here. You seem like one of the locals.
No big. I need to (one of these days) start driving outside the Southeast, to some other events.   
Frazee was a done deal before I really started paying attention.
Would like to do North Texas. (ruckus?) Would like to do the Dells. Lots of others. Just that life gets in the way.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 11:31:31 pm »
I did the Dells.  Not rewarding, for us.  The restaurants weren't clean, and didn't seem to want us.  Most places were closed.  Very commercial.  There were other issues, and most of them were out of the control of the organizers.

Yeah, they're trying to get me to go to something in April, in Texas.  Dunno.  Ruckus, or Roundup, or something.

I know people in my area have a reputation of not having been anywhere (in particular, not crossing rivers), but I've been literally around the world.  I've been to the 48 contiguous states.  Not a stretch to go back to Georgia.  My kids are always with me, so any trip must be beneficial to them, also.

I'm glad to see than the diner will be back in business soon.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 11:25:48 am »
Great News !!!!
The Galaxy Diner Has Reopened !!!
Our Next Meeting Will Be At The Galaxy Diner
February 11th. At 1:30
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 11:58:23 am »
That is great news.  I was going to ask.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:54:00 am by tshark »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 01:24:12 pm »
Nice! I'm happy to hear that.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 11:24:38 am »
I meant to follow up.  How was the diner?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 08:33:12 pm »
You couldn't tell anything had happened.  No sight, no odor.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 08:48:14 pm »
Glad to hear it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 07:48:28 pm »
No more fire.