Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Coincidence?  (Read 14701 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Coincidence?
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:16:27 pm »
I don't live or spend any real time in Atlanta. While blowing through your little town, I stopped and ate delicious food at the galaxy and was surprised to meet some excellent folks there! :)  I paid for that meal with a credit card that I only use for traveling. Now it has four charges for more than 100-122$ from Atlanta area Starbucks, which have been reported as fraud. Please check your statements. I'm not laying blame or making accusations just yet to the diner, but please protect yourself just in case. It could be coincidence.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:50:18 pm »
I used a debit card but we're checking it right now and nothing unusual is showing up.  We've had our Discover card compromised 3 or 4 times this year.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:06:25 pm »
Just checked my statement. Nothing unusual.
I use my card there all the time. Never have seen anything unusual. (I don't use debit cards, for just that reason.)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:52:30 pm »
I use a debit card for small stuff so the merchant doesn't have to pay a fee.  It's a Credit Union debit and we only put a small amount into it at a time.  I use it for things like Fiero gasoline, meals, and small purchases.  The credit union covers us should there be unauthorized use, but no one will ever get more than $200, the limit we ever transfer into it. 

On the other hand, Discover has been hit for thousands of dollars for things like electronics, jewelry, airline tickets and I don't know what else.  I think the smallest item was at Dunkin' Donut. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »
Frequently, they'll make a small purchase to make sure the card isn't declined. If that one goes through, then they'll "go for the gusto".

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »
My wife's card was regularly getting compromised after visiting the grocery store.  It took months to get them to address the issue, and then only because there were hundreds of people affected.  In the meantime, various things were purchased from walmart and best buy for pickup.  We had the police round up the people who arrived for pickup.  Apparently, the thieves thought they outsmarted us by not having the items delivered to their house.  Their comments to the police included, ”how did you find me?”  ”for real?  This ain't fair, man!”,  ”yo, I figured you all owed me”, etc.  As part of the process, the police instructed the customer service people to require a copy of the theives' valid picture ID.  So, the police had an address and cause.  Once the thieves walked out the door with the product, they were arrested.  The products were over the limit, so they faced a felony.  With a warrant, other thieves were arrested and product was siezed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:01:51 pm by tshark »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 09:10:00 am »
I am curious if you ever found the source of this.  My card had 3 bogus charges on it, recently.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 10:17:22 am »
I use a debit card from Excel credit union. They catch any bogus charges right away, even before I do and notify me. They refund any bogus charges. I can't imagine banking with anyone else.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 10:22:12 am »
Mine caught 2 right away (Home Depot), but a third (car insurance) got by them.  The bogus charges were refunded.  The person whose car insurance policy was paid is in trouble.  The Home Depot charges haven't gone anywhere, yet.  The people are on video, but not identified yet.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
My wife's card was regularly getting compromised after visiting the grocery store.  It took months to get them to address the issue, and then only because there were hundreds of people affected.  In the meantime, various things were purchased from walmart and best buy for pickup.  We had the police round up the people who arrived for pickup.  Apparently, the thieves thought they outsmarted us by not having the items delivered to their house.  Their comments to the police included, ”how did you find me?”  ”for real?  This ain't fair, man!”,  ”yo, I figured you all owed me”, etc.  As part of the process, the police instructed the customer service people to require a copy of the theives' valid picture ID.  So, the police had an address and cause.  Once the thieves walked out the door with the product, they were arrested.  The products were over the limit, so they faced a felony.  With a warrant, other thieves were arrested and product was siezed.

Karma.

You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.