Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: GALAXY DINER IS CLOSING  (Read 20795 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: GALAXY DINER IS CLOSING
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2020, 04:30:09 pm »
It would be awesome to have a meeting place where the Fieros were visible from a main thoroughfare.

JR's isn't that place. It's fairly well off the beaten path, as I recall. Even though it's at the intersection of two major roads, it's on top of a hill, hidden by trees and walls. People driving past are going to be busy figuring out where their turn is.

Satellite view
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:16:59 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2020, 04:35:00 pm »
Well, at least the food looks good--other than that rectangular piece of something.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2020, 05:42:41 pm »
About the only way to get any exposure would be that we all managed to park along the front at Peachtree Corners Circle.  When we arrived, the lot was full.  When we left, there were lots and lots of parking spaces.  Apparently our meeting time is their busy time.

For me, the BBQ was good.  The Brunswick Stew was also good.  Sliced french bread or cornbread with a BBQ plate.  French bread was tough and rubbery.  Only 1 BBQ sauce offered.  Tea was good with a good tea aftertaste.  Company was great.  13 people, even with the lousy weather.  Jason and Jordan brought a friend, Chris who owns an 86SE and 87GT.  Larry The Art Doctor joined us, as did Eli.  Both new members from last month. 

No pictures taken, but it did happen. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 05:46:19 pm »
How hard can it be to make good French toast?

Bandanas has a number of BBQ sause choices.  All bad.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 05:51:19 pm »
It wasn't french toast.  It was a slice of french bread that had been placed on the grill for a moment.  Like Texas toast but without any butter. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 06:11:15 pm »
The food was good and the service was also good.  A lot of room, prices werent bad and it appeared to be centeraly located.   Does anyone have a map of where all  the usual attendees live so we could find a place centrally located where the traffic isnt a night mare.   Comming from Kennesaw it only took me 1/2 hour,  It took me that long to get to 285 when I had to go to the Dinner

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2020, 06:53:27 pm »
I have been unable to find the one previously sugested here, but here is a place to calculate location:
https://batchgeo.com/

The problem is that this doesn't take into account the difficulties of traffic and road issues.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2020, 11:30:49 pm »
Just using the city name, we're located in

Augusta
Blairsville
Carnesville
Braselton
Cumming
Statham
Ball Ground
Kennesaw
Douglasville
Lawrenceville (2)
Auburn

East and west extremes are Carnesville and Douglasville.  Leaving out Blairsville, a central location might be somewhere in the area of Duluth, Johns Creek or Alpharetta.  Johns Creek would be more difficult for Douglasville and Kennesaw.  Alpharetta would be more difficult for Carnesville
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:08:45 pm by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2020, 11:32:54 pm »
That leaves Duluth.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2020, 11:57:47 pm »
There is a place on the Fulton County side of Duluth but their burgers start at $25 and all steaks are above $30.  Good corner exposure to 2 major roads, but too pricey for Frugal Fiero Folks as Keith Goodyear calls us. 

Another pace over on the Gwinnett side of the river is Duluth Diner.  Menu and prices are somewhat similar to The Galaxy Diner.  Located right on Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, just south of the intersection with Pleasant Hill Road. 

Those would be a little further for Douglasville and Kennesaw by maybe 10  miles and maybe 10 miles closer for Carnesville, Braselton, Cumming and Ball Ground.  It's a straight shot off I-85 or Ga. 400 and I-285. 

http://places.singleplatform.com/duluth-diner/menu?ref=google

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 10:55:55 am »
Ted's Montana Grill isn't that expensive!
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 09:41:58 pm »
Just using the city name, we're located in

Blairsville
Carnesville
Braselton
Cumming
Statham
Ball Ground
Kennesaw
Douglasville
Lawrenceville (2)
Auburn

East and west extremes are Carnesville and Douglasville.  Leaving out Blairsville, a central location might be somewhere in the area of Duluth, Johns Creek or Alpharetta.  Johns Creek would be more difficult for Douglasville and Kennesaw.  Alpharetta would be more difficult for Carnesville

Any chance Augusta can get added to this list?  Not saying I'll be a regular attendee, but my odds of appearing become much higher if I'm not looking at a 5+ hour round trip.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 10:07:55 pm »
Those locations are in the same general area of The Diner, so to speak.  Why don't you take a trip up to see your daughter on the weekends of the meetings? 

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2020, 08:30:22 am »
The V8 board has decided to have our monthly BOD meeting at Folks Restaurant on LaVista in Tucker in lieu of the Galaxy.  It is one exit further around 285 for me coming from Chamblee.  The main reason for us to stay in Tucker is that we have a post-meal access to a deceased long-time member's empty 5 car garage to meet in for sometimes heated discussions (his wife is still friendly with many members and has been given a free lifetime membership).  Folks is right off the exit, does have a side "meeting" room with two long tables that are first come first served, a second side area that would hold many people and the ability to push tables together between rows of bench seats like the galaxy.  No reservations are taken but our server said if you call an hour or two earlier they will try and hold it (no guarantees).  There is a parking area that fronts LaVista a short walk from the restaurant, if your looking for visibility.  Since the V8 BOD meets on a Tuesday at 5:45 it is pretty much dead (till after rush at 7PM) and we should be able to get seated together without issue.  A Saturday afternoon might pose a seating problem or might be fine, if 2:30 is an option over 1:30 I bent it would be nearly empty then.  The food was pretty good, reasonable in cost, similar to JR's menu in many respects but with a much nicer atmosphere.  Just another option.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 09:17:43 am »
Just tossing this one in the ring:

http://www.skogieslakefrontrestaurant.us/menu#lunch

You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.