Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I Scored Twice In Two Days  (Read 14965 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
I Scored Twice In Two Days
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »
The only way that an old Fierofool can score.  Fiero Stuff!

I had received notice that there was an 86 Fiero just placed on the lot. Yesterday Aerodonamic, RayGaBoy and I met at the Pull-A-Part south yard to check it out.  It was an 86SE V6 4-speed.  Not bad on the outside, painted in a medium gray metallic with the same color flames on the tail lights.  The interior had been upholstered with black felt, black corduroy, or black foam.  What wasn't upholstered was spray painted black.  Not to my taste, buy Ray zeroed in on the seats.  Custom made seat covers upholstered with black corduroy and in very good condition. 

I had gone there mainly to try to find a distributor.  Don got the deck lid open and I checked out the distributor.  Pickup coil was in bad condition, so we left it.  While working at the distributor I got glimpse of a nice shiny alternator down below.  So, underneath I went and as I worked my way under, I spotted a nice shiny starter and a new water pump, too.  Pulled the starter and alternator then got the headlight isolation relay. 

Don went window shopping in some nearby cars and found a Grand Prix with a radio with CD and equalizer.  We loaded the seats, starter, alternator and radio into the golf cart and head for checkout.  $27 each for the seats and about $25 each for the alternator and starter.  I think Don said he paid $6 for the radio.  The car has an exhaust system in very good condition.  Megaphone tips have been changed to Camaro tips. 

When we got home, I was showing the wife what a great bargain I'd gotten and noticed that the paint on the starter Bendix wasn't even scuffed.  Someone had put a lot of money into the car and then never even hit the start. 

Late last evening I get another notice that the North Atlanta yard had just placed an 85 Fiero on the lot.  Hearing this, the wife suggested that Ray and I to check that one out, too.  No arguments from us.

This morning after the first cup of coffee, off Ray and I go to the Buford Highway lot.  Found the car and it was an 85GT with just 62*** miles.  But it looked like it'd been sitting in someone's Back Forty for a long long time.  It was covered in fungus.  Looked worse than an-ex girlfriend's toenails.  Someone had also left the sunroof open when it was placed on the lot and the interior was soaked, but there wasn't much inside that was worth saving.  Someone had already gotten the steering wheel.  Went for the distributor but discovered I left the necessary 15mm at home.  Pulled the ignition coil and lead from the ignition module to coil.

While doing that I noticed a nice looking IAC valve sticking out of the throttle body.  Out it comes.  Walked around to the passenger side and opened up the door.  Bunches of boxes laying underneath the dash.  There's a full set of brand new spark plug wires, a new distributor cap, a new rotor button, a new oil filter, a new air filter.  Into the buggy with everything then grabbed the headlight isolation relay and the Made By Fisher Body and Fiero door sill tabs.

So, then we go do a little window shopping.  We looked into an S-10 sitting in front of the Fiero and there's a new-in-the-box IAC valve.  Laid claim to that.  Peeked into the Grand Prix next to the Fiero and there's a Monsoon CD radio with equalizer.  It ain't there, now!

We headed back up to the checkout, put everything up on the counter and handed over the credit card.  As we were driving back home, I started wondering what we had paid for things, since $48 just didn't seem right.  We pulled out the receipt and couldn't believe our eyes.  This is the damage:

New spark plug wire set $5.58
New distributor cap $4.05
Used ignition coil $18.44
Two new unused IAC valves $15.12
Isolation relay $0.00
Pigtail from ICM to ignition coil $0.00
Door sill tab set $0.00
Coolant recovery tank cap $0.00
Monsoon radio with CD and equalizer $0.00
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
Re: I Scored Twice In Two Days
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:33:57 am »
I will give you $48.00 for the stereo........

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: I Scored Twice In Two Days
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:53:14 am »
It's planned for the yellow 86.  I'm about to go out and hook it into the 87 to see if the theft lock is on and if it works.  If it doesn't work, I'll accept your offer of $48.  :D
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers