Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 88 Charity Project Cars  (Read 17938 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
88 Charity Project Cars
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:02:00 pm »
You all know about the 88 Formula and GT that  former Georgia Fieros member Mike Barr has donated to Georgia Fieros, but here's a little background on them.

The Formula originally belonged to and was built by Dave Bellville, who was also a former Georgia Fieros member.  It has a 2.8 bored 40 over, a high lift cam and a Borla Exhaust System.  Five-speed Getrag.

The GT has belonged to Mike Barr for some time and has been his Fiero pride.  Dickman lowering ball joints and Eibach lowering springs.  Automatic. 

Both have been sitting for 3 or 4 years and the elements haven't been kind to them.  The GT is planned to go to a deserving person in need of transportation.  The future of the Formula hasn't been decided, though a few have expressed interest in purchasing it.  Here are a few pictures of the two.

The Formula after a wash job. We may have to up the ante on this one after it's cleaned up.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Robs Fieros

• President of the East Tennessee Fiero Club
    • View Profile
Re: 88 Charity Project Cars
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:02:37 pm »
That's a sharp looking Fiero.
President of East Tennessee Fiero Club

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:09:57 pm »
I remember Dave's car. I believe he described it as a 3.4 (home-made from a bored and stroked 2.8, IIRC.)
It's the first time I ever heard a cammed 3.4 through, an Ocelot exhaust. Lust at first sight. Uhhh... sound.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:13:46 pm by Raydar »

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:35:41 pm »
I am looking forward to working on both of these.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:17 am »
I'm starting a new thread for the 88GT Wounded Warrior Project car.  There's lots of info I want to convey and I think the GT and Formula will go in different directions and at different time frames.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:45:59 pm »
Ray and I worked on the Formula for a little while yesterday afternoon.  Got the ignition components bolted down and leaves cleaned off the engine.  We had to fill and bleed the clutch system since there was no fluid in the reservoir. 

After the clutch, we placed it in 4th gear and pushed it forward a little at a time to get the engine to rotate and see if there was any resistance.  None, and it seemed fine.

We then put jumpers on and gave the throttle body a few spritzes of carb and brake cleaner.  It took a half dozen or so attempts, but we finally got the engine to fire off.  It would only run if cleaner was being sprayed into the throttle body.  I'm guessing that the fuel pump needs to be replaced, but it sounded good for the 5-10 seconds I could keep it running. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:22:04 pm »
The tail lights on the Formula are badly delaminated.  I bought the ones from the gold 86 at Lance Wrecker.  They have a little delamination and the right one has a crack, but they're better than what's on the car.  I didn't realize it was cracked until they delivered them to me, yesterday afternoon. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:32 am »
The problem is......If you do too much work to the formula, then you'll drive it out of my price range ;)
Am I correct in wondering where the notchback-ness of it has gone?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:53 am »
I don't think the price has gone up.  The tail lights are ones I bought off the 86 GT that I recently posted about.  The money came from my pocket and was donated to the car. 

I do think there are some things on the Formula that need to be changed.  The fiberglass quarter window replacements create a big blind spot, even though the air intake in it might help to pull hot air from the engine bay.  The big A-10 Warthog air intake on the side needs to be removed, too. 

I don't know when this one was converted to the fastback, but it may have even preceded Raydar's conversion.  Personally, I think active club members should have first shot at the car at a lower price and if no one wants it, then the price goes up for any one outside the club. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:37:40 pm »
This one predates my conversion by probably 5 years.
It was at least a partial inspiration.
It was also when I discovered how good a fat cam, no cat, and an Ocelot exhaust sounded. Have you heard it run, yet?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 02:34:49 pm »
We've only had it running long enough to know that it runs.  Carb or brake cleaner down the intake.  The fuel pump is bad. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 11:53:35 pm »
OK, the GT has been delivered and we still have the Fastback Formula.  General consensus is that we sell the car. 

Roger and I recently installed a new fuel pump so it would run on it's own.  These are the things I know it needs at the moment.

The tilt column needs to be replaced.  It feels like it's held together with cable ties.  Maybe Slowburn57 has one in his collection.
The battery is absolutely totally dead.  I killed my truck battery and had to buy a new one from jumping and running the car off the truck.
Does anyone have a good used battery to sell to the club, or I can go to a manufacturer here in Winder and pick up one for about $70. 
The car has a skip.  Could be anything from a stuck injector to bad plugs or wires. 

Let's discuss this at the September club meeting.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 01:18:56 am »
have you decided what the active member lower price is?
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 08:26:46 am »
That's probably something we need to determine at the meeting, too.  I think we at least need to be sure the engine runs good before setting a price and selling it.  I wouldn't want to sell it with a bad engine. 

slowburn57

• View Profile
    • Culver Brothers Racing
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 10:48:49 am »
Sorry guy don't have a steering column.