Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Led lights  (Read 16536 times)

Macondave

• View Profile
Led lights
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »
Anyone on here have l or some led lights for interior or exterior?? Looks like blacktop racing has everything covered. Anything negative about using led in a fiero?

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: Led lights
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 04:58:16 pm »
I have interior (floor, overhead), side markers and 3rd stoplight.  Love 'em.
TopNotch has headlights and is impressed with his.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
I installed a set in the dome console.  Not as bright as the incandescents, but won't run your battery down if you leave them on overnight.  I also have one in the trunk.  The LED is oriented in the wrong direction to shine directly out into the trunk.  It actually shines up and down within the light cavity, but the OEM bulb also is recessed.  The OEM does seem to illuminate the trunk a little better.  Like the overhead console LED's, you can leave your trunk open all day at a car show without worry of killing your battery.  I think if you got a bulb with the LED pointing in the correct direction for the application, it would be much better than what I have. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 06:07:19 pm »
I've got LEDs in my map lights and underdash courtesy lights. I really like them. They seem a lot brighter and "bluer" than the originals.

Some pics, here.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089208.html

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:04:08 pm »
In my yellow car, I have replaced every light with LED's except the dash turn signal arrows and warning lights. BTW, the the alternator warning light has to be a bulb, or else a suitable resistor has to be used. I replaced the dash illumination lights with red LED's, for a nice red glow at night. The front side marker lights need to be non-polarized, or else you must use full wave rectifiers. There's a write-up about that on the Ogre's site.
On my silver car, I replaced all external lights with LED's, and the interior dome lights. The dash is still stock
LED headlights are nice.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:36:57 pm »
In my yellow car, I have replaced every light with LED's except the dash turn signal arrows and warning lights. BTW, the the alternator warning light has to be a bulb, or else a suitable resistor has to be used. I replaced the dash illumination lights with red LED's, for a nice red glow at night. The front side marker lights need to be non-polarized, or else you must use full wave rectifiers. There's a write-up about that on the Ogre's site.
On my silver car, I replaced all external lights with LED's, and the interior dome lights. The dash is still stock
LED headlights are nice.

I did a full led conversion on my 86 k10 (literally everything except the headlights, which are hids), and had the same issue with the side markers. instead of a full wave rectifier I used a relay.

I am impressed, i've never encountered someone else who knew a full wave rectifier would be needed to fix the problem. When I was converting the k10 back in high school, I had no clue, and neither did anyone on the squarebody forum nor anywhere else I checked. Had to get my uncle, an electrical engineer, to help with a solution. I knew the current needed to go both ways, but didn't have the electrical knowledge i do now.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
I am impressed, i've never encountered someone else who knew a full wave rectifier would be needed to fix the problem.

What can I say?... I'm a geek!
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:17 pm »
I have almost complete LEDs.  Here's a list:
Side markers
Map lights
Dome lights
Courtesy lights
Trunk light
Power outlet
Instrument cluster backlights
Aux gauges backlight
HVAC backlight (red)
Ash tray lights
Gear indicator light
Parking lights
Third brake light
Brake lights
Reverse lights
Turn signals
Pontiac lights

It seems I'm missing something.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the reverse lights, the brake lights, the turn signals, the third brake light, and most of the interior lighting.  I think the side markers have room for improvement, not in the lighting department, but in the design.  I'd like a plug that seals off the assembly.  The dash backlighting is OK, but doesn't seem to work well with that orange metal.

The HVAC backlight is VERY RED, but dim.  It's the only colored interior bulb I used.  The courtesy lights are too blue.  The under dash courtesy lights are nice in that they don't burn my arm when working under the dash.  The courtesy lights provide great lighting.  If I were to do the trunk light over, I'd use a different bulb.  I went with the ”level 1” IIRC.

I'm not particularly pleased with the switchbacks.  The amber is too dim, and the white is bluish.

The biggest problem with using LEDs is the difference in resistance.  Some people had to use ballast resistors for tail lights, turn signals, and parking lights.  I found I could get by without the ballast resistors if I went full LED.  Basically, once the third brake light, both rear side markers, and the parking/turn signal lights were all LED with both relays changed to electronic relays, then I was good.  I don't remember if I changed the turn indicators to LEDs or not.

The third brake light came with a housing and lens to replace the melted originals.  Mine has 36 individual bulbs.  Much cooler than the original.

The power light and ash tray lights are also cooler than the original bulbs, and should reduce heat damage.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:00:13 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 07:46:37 pm »
Oh.  An LED conversion from BTR for the lights I have is about $1,000.  Something to consider.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:31 am »
You should convert the headlights too. Then you can call it a "led" sled!  Lol
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:19 am »
Hey!  I think this is the first time you've replied to me..

The headlights are Hella projectors.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:54 am »
I'm wondering if the projector lamps have an led equivalent? 
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 09:53:42 am »
I'm sure, but the buckets, wiring, and bulbs were $560.  LEDs would increase the price.  Mine are the low profile buckets.

They have LED 5x7's, but I wanted a lower profile.  You can see mine on my introduction thread.