Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 88GT at Pull-A-Part  (Read 20399 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
88GT at Pull-A-Part
« on: August 09, 2016, 01:52:06 pm »
There's an 88GT in the South Yard, Henrico Road off Moreland Avenue at I-285.  Not a heck of a lot left.  Passenger seat is still there and in pretty good condition.  Headlight assemblies with motors, though at some time, the system has been butchered.  The harness has been cut with something spliced into it.  The headlights have rods bolted to the sides to hold them open. 

There is a Premium Sound System overhead console and the subwoofer still in the car.  The hubs are still there with a full set of Pacer 5-spoke wheels.  Power mirrors with the switch is still there.  Auxiliary gauges and 120 speedo.  It's an automatic.  I think the ECM was still there.  The console was still in place. 

Deck lid and part of the engine is gone, as are the quarter windows. 

I grabbed the headlight module, which for some reason was still in the front compartment.  A Fiero Store $600 item.  Cost me $6.95.  Like new horn button, charged out as a wheel center cap, $3.50.  Maybe someone can get the hubs and disks and tell them they're Frisbees.  $0.50 each. 

If anyone goes, get the VIN number and mileage for 88datbaseguy. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
Re: 88GT at Pull-A-Part
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:50 am »
I have your socket & pigtail Charlie.

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »
There's an 88GT in the South Yard, Henrico Road off Moreland Avenue at I-285.  Not a heck of a lot left.  Passenger seat is still there and in pretty good condition.  Headlight assemblies with motors, though at some time, the system has been butchered.  The harness has been cut with something spliced into it.  The headlights have rods bolted to the sides to hold them open. 

At the beginning of this month, I purchased an 88 Fiero with a replica body kit. Someone removed the pop-up headlights, and replaced them with 4 rectangular stationary headlights, which were probably covered with a piece of plexiglass at some previous date.

This is my first Fiero, so I know very very little about them. Do you know if it would be possible to remove the existing rectangular lights and install the pop-ups mentioned on the Pull-a-Part Fiero? I prefer the look of the popups, even though I have been told they are more trouble. :) lol

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:39:19 pm »
I would be willing to drive down and try to get them, but the earliest I can do that is Saturday morning, due to my day job hours and the distance from the salvage yard. I live about 90 minutes north of the yard, and have to go right through ATL traffic.  :o

Just don't want to waste money buying something that possibly could not be repaired, much less retrofitted into my car. I don't know anyone else who has a Fiero, so I can't really compare the area under my front hood to the OEM Fiero.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »
To be safe (since it is unknown what you have in your car), you should get the head light assemblies, the headlight wiring harness, and the motor controller. The motor controller is behind the driver's side fender liner. If you have all that, you should be able to restore pop-up headlights.
ps. If you do go down there, could you peel off the door handle strips for me? See this post for more info.
Edit: Oops... I  just read the 1st post in this thread. Fierofool has the motor controller (headlight module).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:44:12 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:48:45 pm »
To be safe (since it is unknown what you have in your car), you should get the head light assemblies, the headlight wiring harness, and the motor controller. The motor controller is behind the driver's side fender liner. If you have all that, you should be able to restore pop-up headlights.
ps. If you do go down there, could you peel off the door handle strips for me? See this post for more info.
Thank you for the information about the other parts I'd need. When you say "driver's side fender liner", is that the flat panel inside the wheel wheels, which keeps mud/water spray from the tires inside the wheel well area? I just sprayed mine with Rustoleum Undercoating while the wheels were off at Goodyear getting new tires. :) lol  Anyway, I just want to be sure I'm looking behind the correct panel.

Just realized I have to work Saturday morning 10-2PM. I may try to go Sunday instead. I live north of Kennesaw, so I probably would only have an hour max by the time I got off work and drove to the yard.

I'll look for the handle strips for you.

Would anyone be willing to take a couple of photos of their Fiero front compartments, showing the lights and the area around the lights? I don't know the cars well enough to know if the builder made any structural changes, etc, in that area. All external body panels were replaced, so they may have also changed some of the structural framing needed to support the headlight mechanisms.

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »
Edit: Oops... I  just read the 1st post in this thread. Fierofool has the motor controller (headlight module).

Never mind about the "driver's side thinga-ma-panel" question. :)

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »
I just looked at that car this past weekend, and I know that the headlight harness has already been butchered. It is not worth the trouble.

My shop is at the Cherokee/forsyth county line on hwy 20. You can meet me there and I can look at your car and see if anything is really disturbing about it.

Pat, the door handle strips arent any good, dry rotted from sitting outside.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:53 pm »
Most of the headlight system was gone and the harness had been butchred.  The headlights had been raised up and rods bolted to the sides of them to hold them open permanently.  I believe th lower ends had been welded in place.  The harness wires from the motors had been cut and spliced into another device, and the stock module was laying in the front compartment.  I surmise the other device was some kind of attempt to replace the actuator module.

There's really nothing that's useable on the headlight system.  Not worth the drive down there. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 05:17:35 pm »
 just converted mine over from the flushmounts to the popups.  I think I had the same flushmounts as you.  Couldn't see a darned thing at night. 

What body kit do you have?  Send me some pictures and I'll post them for you, if you don't have a PC. 

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 03:51:39 pm »
I just looked at that car this past weekend, and I know that the headlight harness has already been butchered. It is not worth the trouble.
Most of the headlight system was gone and the harness had been butchred.  The headlights had been raised up and rods bolted to the sides of them to hold them open permanently.  I believe th lower ends had been welded in place.  The harness wires from the motors had been cut and spliced into another device, and the stock module was laying in the front compartment.  I surmise the other device was some kind of attempt to replace the actuator module.

There's really nothing that's useable on the headlight system.  Not worth the drive down there. 

Thank you both for saving me the drive time to the other side of ATL! :) Wow... welded and bolted in place... they seriously did not like popups! :D

My shop is at the Cherokee/forsyth county line on hwy 20. You can meet me there and I can look at your car and see if anything is really disturbing about it.
The most disturbing thing about my car is the owner.  :o lol

just converted mine over from the flushmounts to the popups.  I think I had the same flushmounts as you.  Couldn't see a darned thing at night. 

What body kit do you have?  Send me some pictures and I'll post them for you, if you don't have a PC. 

I haven't driven the car at night yet. I know the headlights "work", but I don't know how bright they are in "real life", driving around. I just prefer the popups because I think they look better with the body kit.

Which brings me to ... My body kit isn't the "normal" Fiero body style, if there is a "normal Fiero body kit". My car has a 3.1 V6, stretched about 7".

It is a replica of a certain Red Head from an "Italian stallion" automaker. It even has a little "horsey" emblem... a couple of years ago, my daughter would have probably named it after one of the "My Little Pony" characters.  ;)

Here is a shot of the front lights.

I'm doing a build thread over on Mad Mechanics, a custom/replica car forum.

Anyway, under the fiberglass, it is a Fiero. It just doesn't "look like" a Fiero... I hope we can still all be friends.  :D lol

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 06:30:07 pm »
That's a good looking Fiero.  But it looks like you have a tire problem.  Bring it to the October meeting and let us kick the tires to be sure they're safe.😃

My initial thoughts about the headlights are:
1.  I don't think you will be able to convert to stock popups.
2.  You will probably have difficulty seeing at night because;
A.  The pan cuts off the downward beam so you can't see the roadway directly in front.
B.  The fender and hood cuts off side scatter so seeing the lines is difficult. 

Those are the reasons I converted back.  A good set of driving lights can reduce those issues, though.

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 10:14:32 pm »
That's a good looking Fiero.  But it looks like you have a tire problem.  Bring it to the October meeting and let us kick the tires to be sure they're safe.😃

My initial thoughts about the headlights are:
1.  I don't think you will be able to convert to stock popups.
2.  You will probably have difficulty seeing at night because;
A.  The pan cuts off the downward beam so you can't see the roadway directly in front.
B.  The fender and hood cuts off side scatter so seeing the lines is difficult. 

Those are the reasons I converted back.  A good set of driving lights can reduce those issues, though.

Thank you for the feedback.

Speaking of the October tire-kicking session ;) ...

That is my birthday, and it sounds like a fun thing to do. How long do the meetings usually last? I'm a mobile DJ, and have a school dance that night. I'd have to get back home to get the van (can't fit much DJ gear in the car), then head to my gig. I could probably stay an hour or two.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 10:24:33 pm »
Some of arrive around 12:30-1:00 and go ahead and order our food.  Meeting is supposed to start at 1:30, and might last a half hour to an hour.  Tire kicking afterwards.  Lie-telling follows tire-kicking. 

Always allow for traffic, when traveling either direction. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 05:39:55 am »
That's a nice looking car!
I've seen quite a few rebodies, but most don't go to the trouble of doing a stretch. That opens up a lot of possibilities (like yours) and really makes the proportions nice.