Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Electronic nannies  (Read 14623 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Electronic nannies
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:10 pm »

First, let me say I'm a big fan of anti-lock brakes.  They stop better in wet conditions than I've ever been able to do pumping my brakes.  But I'm not a big fan of other electronic gadgets being put on cars.

These other gadgets don't seem to help much.  My 2011 Mustang (manual) has traction control, but my tires spin if I'm at a stop sign and the road is slightly wet. 

Does anyone recommend any electronic gadgets they would put on their Fiero (See how I made this thread Fiero related)  if price was not a consideration?
Would you leave them off a new car?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Electronic nannies
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:59:29 pm »
As you've already eluded too, ABS AND traction control. Those, and an electric sunroof that goes up and slides above the roof, like the new cars have. Oh, and Bluetooth.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 03:26:47 pm »
Bluetooth backup camera with indicator lines on the screen and GPS.  It can double for the GPS screen.  The GPS screen should be big enough to see and located so the driver only need move his eyes to view.  Not like the tiny Ford unit in my truck mirror

I'm not a big fan of gadgets like object detection, brake control, lane detection and self parking.  I think they lull one into a false sense of safety.  These are functions a driver should always have control over.

With the ability and propensity to hack a vehicle's computer, I want as few avenues as possible for someone to see how fast I can go or if my family vehicle can become an ATV.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:03:39 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:32:03 pm »
No ABS, no airbags, no anti-collision and would rather have posi-traction than traction control, no computer controlled anything. Electronic ignition . . . yes. Power accessories are nice but computer control is for meow meows. Fieros would run so much better without them. They're a lot of garbage and wires that just add unnecessary weight and cause codes that drive everyone nuts. Blah!
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »
Electrically powered accessories allowed to a limit.  My take on the power sun/moon roofs is that if the motor fails with the roof open, you have to tear the headlinere out to access it.  There's absolutely no way to close it.  At least that's what I've been told of the Pontiac Grand Prix moonroof. 

Electronic sensors to tell an ECM what's going on and to help with troubleshooting, like the 7730 ECM and others up to the end of the OBD 1 ECM's.  Never anything that's fly-by-wire like the throttle or power steering.  ABS, I like, because I've experienced the benefits.  Airbags are OK if they aren't Takata. :)
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:42 pm »
Steering wheel radio controls.  HUD (just because it's cool).  1990 instrument cluster.  Power steering.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:13:45 am »
Power steering. Maybe ABS. Power windows and locks. Keyless entry and remote start. USB port and iPod control. Automatic lights. Maybe an electric sunroof.
They can keep all the blind spot / lane change / self parking "nannyware". People have a hard enough time paying attention, as it is.
Adaptive cruise control/automatic panic braking might be useful, as much as I hate to admit it.