Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: TCC again - Different symptom  (Read 15315 times)

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
TCC again - Different symptom
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:56:12 am »
Here we go again.......

So to the new subtle symptom that appeared at 35+mph prior to changing out the pump on a test run last week, really shows up at 65 mph after the pump change - but I am sure they have nothing in common with changing the pump.

- when I was at cruise and seemed the TCC was trying to lock in, the car jerks like I was rapidly pushing and releasing the gas pedal.
     - So I pulled off the highway and pulled the TCC wire and started to drive again it stopped.

If you recall I just R&R'd the TCC solenoid.

My plan and I am taking suggestions:

I am going to go check fluid (would like to find a Mechanic who can do the filter and fluid that knows what they are doing on a Fiero so I can learn)

I assume if it is anything different than the solenoid then I am going to get a transmission expert.

I just read through OGREs Site just to brush up on it. I am going to my manual next just to see what that says.

Has anyone had this type of symptom?
Randy ~ of Acworth

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: TCC again - Different symptom
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »
Changing fluid and filter is no big deal on the Fiero.  With all the things you've done, it's a piece of cake with your experience.  I seem to recall that there may be a couple of pan bolts that are specific to their location.  A good trick to keeping them in the right place is to use a piece of cardboard to trace out the new gasket and its holes.  Punch a hole through where each bolt is located and as you remove bolts, insert them into their respective position on the cardboard. 

After replacing the filter and it's O-ring, gasket and pan, use Dexron II fluid to refill the trans.  I think about 4 quarts to start.  Run the car through all its gears and check the level.  Recheck the level after the car has been driven on the road. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:53:17 pm »
That does give me a little confidence. I just took the car for about a 20 minute ride without the TCC and it runs great.

I plugged it back in and went for another drive. It is back and this time I push the brake until the tcc disengaged and it stopped and then started right back up after it engaged again.

For the most part when my son starts driving it he wont be going faster then 40 very much so he will rarely see it.

but you know it bugs the heck out of me. :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:02:40 pm by MetalBlue85GT »
Randy ~ of Acworth

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:11:33 pm »
Changing the filter and fluid on the Fiero is messy but can be very messy unless the car's level.  Jacking up the rear to get under it tilts the side of the pan to the low side.  The best way is to leave a couple of bolts in each end and remove the others.  Loosen the remaining end bolts just enough to be able to break the pan loose from the case.  You'll need a big catch pan to avoid spillage when you break the pan loose. 

Once you've got the pan separated from the case, remove the bolts from the end nearest the wheel and carefully tip it down to drain the pan of the remaining fluid, using the bolts on the other end to keep the pan from falling in your face. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:19:37 pm »
Oh yea I forgot to mention the Fluid level is good and smells normal and is the right color. Doubt this issue is having anything to do with fluid. I just checked all this after the drives mentioned above. The other shifting and down shifting are solid.

Maybe a faulty TCC solenoid ??? cause if it is not that then everything I can read says its a TC.

And that I cannot do in my garage... :)
Randy ~ of Acworth

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 02:49:30 pm »
When you check the fluid, you should so so after driving the car enough to warm up the transmission, and then check it with the engine running. A "hunting" automatic transmission is symptomatic of low fluid.
You can use the latest dexron number III or IV, or whatever it is, in your Fiero with no problems. I use synthetic dexron in mine. It works great.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.