Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Misc neighborhood issues  (Read 14906 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Misc neighborhood issues
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:25:33 am »
Cleaning up another thread.

How High of a Fence can you build ?  can you enlarge your Garage Space or leave the Daily Driver Outside and work Inside or in the Back yard.

number 1 can be simi expensive dependent on which engine you have. the rest can be done by yourself and if paying someone else not much more than a couple hundred bucks if you purchse the parts.  buying a compression tester for around 40 dollars to see if maybe you have a bad valve can also allow you to install new plugs after removing said tester.
but for number 1 less than a thousand and maybe Half of that and you CAN do the work if you know Right from Left, with a floor Jack and some very Basic Tools

Fences in front are against code.  Also against code to park on unpaved surface.  Cannot get car to the back yard without a crane, anyway.  I don't have a garage.  I can't even wash my car without getting a citation.

I don't know what they're citing you under.  I've looked at the Municipal Codes for your city and can't find any restrictions to washing a car, or cleaning out the car or for parking on an impervious surface.  The enforcement officer should give you a copy of the code section or at least the article number of the code section under which he's citing or warning you of.  If you don't have those sections available, next time ask for the appropriate municipal code section.  Otherwise, they could just make up something and you have no idea how you're to comply.  If you do have those code sections, send them to me and I'll check them out.  I've got over 20 years experience with municipal codes.

We have 3 departments that can cite us: police, public works, and animal control.  None of them use the same system, have the same standards, or seem to have any accountability.  When I complain, the first problem is trying to find out who wrote the citation.  The ”uniform complaint” could be any of the three.  The officer ID is never filled in, supposedly for privacy reasons.  If you challenge in court, it is possible to get it overturned, but you still have to pay court fees, and have to basically take 3 days off work, and pay 3 sets of court fees, plus parking.

It is usually possible to win by inconsistencies.  For example, trash pickup falls under the department of public works, as do the code enforcement officers.  We are supposed to place our trash bins at least 4 feet from stationary objects.  People always park on one side of my driveway, and the other side has a street light.  So, I put it on the street light side.  They don't pick up the trash, so I leave it out, and they cite me.  The ordinance says trash must be in by 6pm.  Thing is, the trash pickup doesn't come by until after 6pm.  I get cited again the next day, for not getting my trash out on time, even though it's still sitting there at the curb.  We went around enough times that the trash pickup people have to get off their truck and pick up my trash, then roll my dumpster back and take a picture.  Yes, I tried wheeling it to the other side of the street, but that's also illegal.

We aren't allowed to have generators.  During a week-long power outage, I was running my generator, which was behind my house.  You could plainly hear it, but it was out of sight.  I was given a citation.  I challenged for proof,  they couldn't provide proof.  I had to sign a statement that the generator was in my yard--not the neighborhood.  Whatever.  The citation was for noise.  How the HECK is a snow-blower allowed, or a chainsaw, or motorcycles, etc?

They have codes for derelict, unsightly, nuisance.  Also one about building materials.  If your yard is otherwise fine, but your neighbors on both sides change to zoisia grass and you don't, your yard is now unsightly.  I borrowed a lift to clean out my gutters, and was cited for not having a roofing permit.  I got it thrown out, but had to pay $60 in court costs, plus $15 for parking, and take 3 days off, for a $24 citation.

One of the citations on my Fiero was for ”safety hazard”.  Another was something about working on an historic vehicle in public view.

So sure, I can challenge, but I usually wait until they issue a summons.  I'm not sure if it's a bench warrant or not, but I appeal outside their jurisdiction, and get a null tally done.

I've seen the concrete one.  The citations usually have no bearing on what actually happened.  It never says I was washing my car.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:36:32 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc neighborhood issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:26:58 am »
Sounds like it's time to move.

Funny you mention moving.  Lots of people keep telling me that.  I had a handshake deal to stay in this neighborhood for 5 years.  I've been here for almost 8.  We've looked at other houses, but the good ones are difficult to get.  I'd like to build a house, but we haven't been able to find acceptable land.  The original plan was that I'd just build a cabin, but then that expanded to a rustic house.  I've never built anything with more than 1 floor, so it'd be a ranch-style place.  The limiting problems are proximity and transportation to job and family, as well as having reliable internet.  I'd build a solar collector and have a generator.  We're looking at properties that already have a good well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:41:03 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 05:28:58 am »
  I get the impression you live in a Gated community or at least a PIA HOA neighborhood, I don't know what Land Values are there. But Sonny move out to the Country. You don't seem like the kind that find's it Nessesary to Impress the Neighbors But your wife could be and I would understand why you would put up with this Crap. SO Find a good School in a more rural part of Town and Find some Peace and a couple Acres.

Nothing like that.  My wife isn't worried about impressing the neighbors.  School is not a problem at this time.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:30:36 am »
We should start a gated fiero community. It shall have a race track and an autocross course, hangers instead of houses. Oh, and a gate.

I like how you think.  The hangars need to be fully outfitted garages.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 05:31:39 am »
I've searched the municipal codes and I can't find anything that relates to the issues you mention.  If it were a gated community, city or county would have no authority to enforce HOA rules, or even if it's not a gated community, for that matter. 

I was an enforcement officer for 6 years and had to deal with 6 different HOA's.  Often a resident would want a covenant enforced but that's a civil matter to be taken up with the HOA officers. 

City officials cannot cite someone for any kind of violation without informing them of the code section they're in violation of.  You must know how you are in violation.  On the Code Enforcement site, it says that the officer does not have access to rear yards unless someone reports a violation in a rear yard.  This is a listing of the enforcement responsibilities of the code enforcement officer.

Rear Yards — Code Enforcement does not have legal access to rear yards to cite violations, so Code Enforcement relies on HELP from adjoining property owners lodging an anonymous complaints.

Whenever violations are found, pictures are taken and a “courtesy infraction notice” or “housing infraction notice” is issued in an attempt to obtain voluntary compliance.  If you are a recipient of an “infraction notice,” communications with the Code Enforcement Officer is highly recommended.  In some cases, time extensions can be obtained if necessary and requested.  If there is no communication with the City and the violation continues past the “infraction notice” re-inspection date, violations will result in Code Enforcement issuing a Municipal Court Summons and a Court date. Below is a sample list of items Code Enforcement is tasked with regulating and assuring Code Compliance:

Grass or weeds over 8 inches
    No building permits
    Trash, limbs and debris
    Parking of vehicles on unimproved surfaces
    Unsafe/Unfit structures
    Derelict, Unlicensed Vehicles on residential property
    Residential Occupancy Inspections and Permits
    Nuisance Noise

No gate.  Yes, I get everything without pics thrown out.  One citation stated that my carport had ”unapproved items” on it.  It was bicycles we were getting ready to ride, and a bag of rock salt.  They said I could only have cars in my carport.  Another time, same citation, it was a box delivered by fedex.

Oh.  The code officers aren't supposed to cross the property line, but I've found them in my carport, in my back yard, on my deck, etc.  Even some pictures could only have been taken from in my yard.  That was how one officer got fired.  He kindof had it out for me after I caught him in my back yard.  It was well below freezing, no power, but I had a pot of boiling water on.  I dumped the water on him, and told him to stay out of my yard.  He caught his pants on the fence while climbing out of my yard, and tore the crotch.  Funny, that a grown man can't hop a low fence. Weeks later, I came home and he was harassing my wife.  Boy did he run.  Bawwwwwk, bawwwwwk!  His car was parked in front of my house, but I chased him for about 2 blocks.

They used to stick the infraction notices on the front window.  These things don't peel off.  I had to scrape them off with a razor, then finish up with soap and water.  If you get 2 or 3 of these in as many days, it's a day's work to remove them, because they're almost letter-sized.  Somebody stuck one on the code enforcement officer's windshield.

At some point, the supervisor decided it wasn't safe for the code enforcement officers to speak with the residents (they worry about an altercation), so the cowards sneak around and mail infraction notices.  In my spare time, I walk around the neighborhood with an air horn.  If I happen on one of the skunks lurking in my neighborhood, the air horn is used to discourage skulking.  I only actually used it once.  Now I can just say ”boo” and the moron about jumps out of his skin.  Usually, he drops his binoculars and runs.

Did you know that you aren't supposed to cut down trees while the code enforcement officer is in said tree?  We were at the neighbor's house (this redneck would fit right in with those Duck Dynasty dudes), and had been talking about cutting down a tree in his back yard, when we saw the officer up in the tree with his binoculars.  The tree is dead, and about 1.5 feet in diameter.  When we started the chainsaw, the officer started yelling.  We cut the tree, but not down, because then we'd have to remove it.  The police came, and we had to listen to a grown man bawl his eyes out about the vibrations in the tree.  If the officer had told us he was going to illegally go into the yard and climb a dead tree, we'd have told him it was a bad idea.  The poor sap had to jump.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:32:51 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:22 am »
 I approve of your Methods, Who Then Is calling the Law? And a few of you need to Hire an Attorney. Go to Legal aide the young Attorney's would put a stop to this.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:36:59 am »
Have you thought about running for a city board commission?  Worm your way in and get a couple of your friends to do the same. Run on whatever party ticket makes up the majority, so when the idiot sheep vote straight party, you're in!
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:37:54 am »
Until the law is changed, they can continue.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 07:41:27 am »
Have you thought about running for a city board commission?  Worm your way in and get a couple of your friends to do the same. Run on whatever party ticket makes up the majority, so when the idiot sheep vote straight party, you're in!

A politician!  Ahhhhhh!

My wife is against that.  I've had to turn down several things.  No time, anyway.  I need to get a new job.  My wife's work is getting rid of all senior employees.  Basically, they make it so you cannot continue, and must quit.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 06:24:16 pm »
I won, I won!  When I got home, my winning notices were waiting for me.  Not one, but 2 infraction notices. 

My Fiero is again a derelict vehicle, according to the city.  It hasn't moved in 1 month.  It's in my carport, with a cover on it.  They want me to pay the fine and move it.  I moved it forward to the front of the drive, took a pic, and moved it back.

I also got a notice that I hadn't properly removed my snow.  What snow?  It's 60 degrees, and the snow melted.  I asked them.  They said it wasn't me specifically, that they sent everyone an infraction notice!   My day will come.

But wait, my winnings didn't stop there.  I was selected by random drawing to have to show proof of car insurance.  This requires that some form be sent by your insurance company to the capitol.

This must be doubles day, because, wouldn't you know, my insurance company is dropping me.  I'm an emerald customer, meaning that I've been with them for a long time, and they haven't had a lot of payouts.  This would seem to be good, right?  Wrong.  Apparently, they would have to lower my rate if they renewed, according to the policy.  I can re-apply in August, at which time they would consider my application.  So, I haven't had enough accidents.  They want me on a more accident-prone plan.

There was also an infraction delivered to me for improper storage of building materials, but it wasn't addressed to me.  The guy to whom it's addressed had a water main pipe break in his yard.  It took out about a 6-foot diameter area of his yard.  We put in some boards to prevent more damage.  It isn't even his water pipe.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 05:57:41 am »
I have nothing nice to say about HOA's. I caught a guy going thru my garage in CA who said he was doing an inspection for the HOA. He was at the wrong end of the baseball bat and I had him arrested for trespassing and pressed charges. On court day I did the Arlo Guthrie thing with (almost) 27  8 by 10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was with a copy of the HOA by-laws. I won. He served 30 days and I got a restraining order on him.

Before the next HOA meeting I had an army of residents going around taking pictures of the HOA officers properties and when we had the next meeting, we had the president and his cohorts removed from office. They all packed up and moved within the next 2 months and their properties went up for sale. Everyone was delighted, we elected new officers, and all was peaceful and happy after that. Once you throw their own stipulations and idiotic rules back in their face they can't handle it. Go git 'em!

About 2 months after I bought my house in GA I had some guy come to the door wanting to start an HOA in our sub-division. I'll spare you the details but he left in a hurry and soon sold his place. I have great neighbors (for the most part).

Oh, did I mention I hate insurance companies too? The mafia offers better protection. Call the General.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:13:16 am by Roger »
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:45 am »
No HOA here.  It's all the city's code enforcement officers.

There is a car down the street that hasn't moved for months, but it has expired plates and is parked on the street.  The owners would probably play the race card, but not even a parking ticket.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:28 am »
I understand this to be city code enforcement and not an HOA inspector.  Right?  (I had already written this, so rather than rewrite everything, I'll leave the question.?

The process to bring a violator into compliance is totally different for the two.  HOA has a much longer process before ending up in court, which is where it will have to go if the violation isn't eliminated.  It will usually involve lawyers on both sides. 

City or County municipal codes will usually get to court within a month, maybe two depending upon their court schedule and one can go to court without a lawyer.  Usually, it's only the enforcement officer and the defendant.  Of the 6 years I worked as a code enforcement officer, I only had to face 2 lawyers.  I lost one case and won the other that was defended by a Judge.  Even took Ron White and his then-girlfriend to court a couple of times.  He really knew from experience when he said "You Cain't Fix Stupid".

The laws of probably all states allow an individual to come to an entrance door that faces the street or has a walkway leading to it, even if they have to open a gate to access it.  They cannot go beyond the rear corner of the home even if there's a walkway leading around to the back yard.  If a person is asked to leave the property and doesn't, after a second request they are considered trespassers.  A HOA or Code Enforcement Officer may view a property from any other property if they have permission to be on that property.  They may also use other means such as binoculars, telephoto lenses, and now they may even be allowed to use drones.  I know that some agencies have used satellite images to view otherwise inaccessible areas of properties.  About 5 months ago, our county busted a man who was raising fighting dogs.  They were first tipped off to the operation via satellite images that revealed all of the dogs that were chained in the far back of the farm.  I guess further investigation lead to getting a search warrant. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:08 pm »
Drone: (adj), An Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), an aircraft without a human pilot aboard. See SKEET.  ::) ;D :o
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.