Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Saw this car -- What is it?  (Read 14737 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Saw this car -- What is it?
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
I saw this car on the way home from work. Do any of you know what it is? Is it a Lotus?

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
Re: Saw this car -- What is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:29:37 pm »
Lotus Elise.
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:06 am »
When Chris would go out with us, we often joked about keeping up with a Lotus, or that the Lotus had come out to play with some real cars.  I remember running behind him for a full day and while I was pushing hard in 3rd, I think he was still in 2nd.  The engine had something like variable valve timing or that it only ran with some of the valves opening until a certain rpm, or something high tech.  I know that once it got up to a certain rpm, the exhaust note made a big change.  I think those things had around 200 hp and probably weighed about half as much s a Fiero. 

The other joke was in line with the Fiero's Lotus-designed suspension.  Well, there was actually some Lotus/Fiero hybrid in the group, but it wasn't the Fieros.  Savet had one or two bolts from a Fiero that he was using in his Elise.  They aren't creature-comfort cars.  They are FUN cars,.  For creature-comfort, go for a Tesla or Opel Speedster.  They're almost the same car. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:06:49 am »
There's a couple that pull one of these in a race trailer to the the scca south Carolina events and race it solo. It's setup for racing with hard top and hard seats. It was scary the first time they raced it....it was severely overpowered and he couldn't keep it under control. Working the course, i started to look for places to run away and wondered, if all else failed, could i jump high enough strait up to save myself and only suffer broken legs the next time he lost control and ran over someone!  Later in the day, he got used to the setup and ran the hell out of the course.
The other half of the couple was more careful and ran solid runs, in control, the whole day. She had it figured out from the get-go.
They are really nice to look at. There's some really cool engineering going on under the hood, not to mention the suspension.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)