Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Potential swap problems, and how to prevent them  (Read 14478 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Potential swap problems, and how to prevent them
« on: July 25, 2019, 06:52:16 am »
Ideally, the place that works on your Fiero should be nearby.  This not only allows you to check the progress and quality of work, but also provides for maintenance and issue resolution.

Word of mouth recommendations are insufficient.  Ideally, make a trip to the shop beforehand for a preliminary inspection.  Check out the person's work area, their personal vehicle, and other work they have done.  Speak with other owners about how that work went, in terms of timeframe, cost, quality, and satisfaction.  Unkempt work areas and sloppy work are red flags.  If this is a side thing, be aware that their life will delay your project.  If there will be other people/shops performing the work, you need to check out the work/workplaces of those people/shops, also.

On your visit to drop off the vehicle for work, be sure to take plenty of detailed pictures of everything currently on your vehicle.  You want to be able to prove what parts were in/on your vehicle when you dropped it off.  Also make a written list of any and all items dropped off with the vehicle, so you can be sure to get them back.

You need to be informed about the work being done.  Know what is involved.  Read up on the work you want done.  Go over each step with the person who will do the work, and have them write it all out into a contract.

Areas of expertise are very important.  Be aware that a person who is a good engine rebuilder may not be good at wiring, for example.  Do not push the person into areas of incompetence.

Be very clear about what you want done.  Write up a contract with milestone completion dates.  The contract should also include time to test drive (at least 200 miles), and monetary penalties for things done incorrectly.  Each place that does work should be pre-approved by you, and their work should be checked by you before work continues.

All parts should be run by you (with supplier/part info), prior to install, and you should get post-install pictures.  This should be in the contract, and will help prevent cheap parts from being used.

If the person is not doing the work to your standards/timeframe, take the vehicle somewhere else.  Things will only get worse.

When the work is complete, do not expect to pick the vehicle up on the first visit.  There will likely be things that are not quite right, and will need to be fixed.  Get those issues addressed before you pay.  Verify all work, all parts, and take a test drive, but get everything right.  Only after everything is correctly completed do you pay and pick up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:23:36 am by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Potential swap problems, and how to prevent them
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 08:19:44 am »
All very good advice.  It's probable that most business will refuse to document that much detail, though. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 10:12:12 am »
Personally, I have decided to not let anyone work on my Fieros with the following exceptions:
1. Cosmetic -- I will allow others to paint or do other cosmetic work.
2. Engine rebuilding -- I will remove and disassemble the engine and take the parts to a machinist to do those things I can't. I will then re-assemble the engine and put it in the car myself. (I did this with my duke. Still runs fine after 50,000 miles.)
3. Suspension -- I will let others do things, like pressing a ball joint into a control arm, that I can't. But I will take the ball joint and control arm to them, not the car. I will also let a shop do wheel alignment.
4. Tires -- I will let others mount and balance new tires. But I'm beginning to think it may be better to take the wheels to the shop, not the car. No chance of getting crushed coolant tubes that way.
If I can't do the work myself, I may be too old to own a Fiero.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:43:00 am »
... I will let others mount and balance new tires. But I'm beginning to think it may be better to take the wheels to the shop, not the car. No chance of getting crushed coolant tubes that way.

Never a bad idea. I took my Fiero to Discount Tire to have my wheels rebalanced. Told the guy that I wanted to watch when he jacked it up.
He said, "I know what I'm doing!" and proceeded to roll the jack right under the rocker (and coolant tube.)
I said, "No, the hell you don't, either!" and "helped him" to place it under the cradle, instead.
Haven't been back to them, since. (For several reasons. Not just this.)

I mostly do everything except alignments and tire changes and balancing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:44:57 am by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 07:56:55 pm »
Of course, if you can do a good job yourself, that's the way to go.  Some people cannot, for one reason or another.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 08:56:18 pm »
Forgot to add: Whatever they tell you the job will cost, multiply by at least 2.

Expect problems to arise.  Bolts will break, unknown cracks will become evident, parts availability will be a problem, new parts will be bad out of the box, etc.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 07:07:38 pm »
Beware 1-man shops.  His schedule becomes your schedule.  If he gets sick, dies, loses interest, etc, your project suffers.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 08:45:50 am »
It isn't always the fault of the other person.  Sometimes, things happen.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 09:26:13 am »
All very good advice.  It's probable that most business will refuse to document that much detail, though.

If they won't document, I won't pay; however, for a reduced price, I will be involved in every step, and do the documentation myself.  Without proper documentation, the swap is worth much less.

It used to be that I could get a shop to lend me a bay, and I'd do the job myself.  No longer.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 08:27:08 am »
Although a given person may do good work, sometimes they lose interest/motivation in working on your Fiero, which is then placed on a back burner.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 10:27:35 am »
Be sure that you get your parts back.  Some shops lose unattached parts, for some reason.

When picking up your vehicle, test everything-- just as if you were considering a vehicle purchase.  Sometimes, engine work somehow results in a cracked dashboard, or dash lights that no longer work.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 10:28:56 am »
Not all parts are created equal.  If the installer cuts corners, you could end up with poor-quality plug wires, or mismatched injectors, or a poor-quality ICM.