Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: wider rear tires  (Read 15795 times)

jeffwilson34

• View Profile
wider rear tires
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:35:45 am »
Anyone know what the widest rear tires I can fit without making any mods to the car?
I would like to use 18" wheels and low profile tires.  maybe 17's on the front but not as wide.
The 86GT I bought with the LX9 engine will not hook up with the stock tires.  All I do is burn the rubber off sitting still if I try an aggressive start, gets sideways going to 2nd and barks them in 3rd.

It is geared too low really.  I may have to try and find something with a much higher gear.  Right now it is redlined at 8000RPM at around 120MPH   My 4cyl SE has a higher top end speed.
\

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: wider rear tires
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:06:11 pm »
Joe Torma on Pennocks had a very comprehensive chart but all the links to it have disappeared.  If you're on PFF, you might
pm him for a copy.  You do have to be careful on the early models without coilovers.  My brother's 86 has 17-s with low profiles and he had to put spacers to end up with about 1/8 inch clearance between the sidewall and the spring boss.  Spacers wouldn't be recommended for your horsepower application. 

I'm running 245/40-17's on the rear of my 86 and there is less than 1/4 inch clearance with stock 35mm offset.  225/45-17's on the front, stock 35mm offset and they don't scrub the fenderwells. 

I found another thread and RCR posted a PIP image of the links.  Maybe this will help.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058236.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:16:17 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

jeffwilson34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:15:41 am »
looks like I will end up getting a set of coilovers.
Anyone know the best place to get them.   
I have a set of corvette wheels but the bolt pattern is not the same.
Looks like I will be getting a set of wheels and tires.
I would like something on the rear as wide as possible but want to keep the front a couple inches narrower
I want to stagger the wheel size also with 18s on the rear and 17s on the front.
\

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:17:44 am »
Yesterday I received a new sales paper from Tire Rack.  They sell ST, KW, Bilstein, Koni and KYB.  Summit Racing also sells coilovers and wheels. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

jeffwilson34

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:04:24 pm »
thank you for the info
I will check on prices and see what I can afford at the moment
\

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:29:42 pm »
I posted about "traction" in the other thread, but I'll go over it a bit here.
I have 17x8 wheels with a 35 offset on the rear of mine. My rear tires are 235/45-17s. (They will also fit on an earlier car, even with stock springs / perches. I had a similar set on my 84, for a while, while I had it.) I have had 245/45s on it, for a period... 
Even the 235s seem to be plenty of tire for my car and engine, and the way I drive it. But they're fairly soft. Treadwear is ~280.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:34:49 pm by Raydar »