Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My '88 Fiero - The Never-Ending Saga  (Read 105144181 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: My '88 Fiero - The Never-Ending Saga
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:35 pm »
This is what's on the Fastback Formula.  It is functional and it seems to keep the water off the engine.  I think it's a Mustang scoop.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »
I don't really like the thing in the middle.  I'm sure it helps prevent sagging, though.  This one isn't completely glassed in.  I can see where the scoop isn't fully attached.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2017, 05:08:51 pm »
I'm not complaining, but I want to put this out there for future consideration.

When you have your car worked on--any car, but particularly your Fiero--make sure that the person working on your car is as particular as you are.  For example, my attitude is that rust must go.  I don't care if it's surface rust, slight rust, early rust, or any other type of rust.  I will replace, cut, weld, resurface, sand, coat, or whatever it takes to get rid of rust.  I don't want to see rust.  I don't want to have to deal with it later.  I don't want to worry about it.  It don't want others to find rust on my car.  The easiest way to do this is to seek out and eliminate rust, and to deal with it as you find it.  Additionally, when my car is apart, I want to replace any and all questionable parts with the best part.  The idea of re-using a hose, just because it hasn't failed yet is beyond me.  I do not understand putting in a cheap part, just because it will work, and it will ”make do”.  My understanding of ”making do” is building parts that aren't available for purchase.  I think of it this way: your engine could be slapped together so ot runs, or it could be blueprinted.  Which would you prefer?  My Fiero has 29-year-old rubber.  While they may not be bad now, they will be bad, and certainly aren't good now.  I don't see putting in used bushings as an option.  I want new bushings that at least meet the factory spec.  Call me picky, but I was taught to do the job right, the first time.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2017, 05:10:50 pm »
My powder-coated intake and valve covers are due back this week, as is my ECU chip.  Apparently, I'm using an aggressive fuel mapping.

All the coolant and fuel lines are run.  The new coolant reservoir is installed.  Brake lines are still a work in progress.  The serpentine belt will have to be measured.  I'm sure the stock belt won't fit with the tensioner pulley and power pulley.  I'm hoping the engine will be in by the middle of next week.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2017, 05:58:19 pm »
I'm not complaining, but I want to put this out there for future consideration.

When you have your car worked on--any car, but particularly your Fiero--make sure that the person working on your car is as particular as you are...

It depends.
I'm not after show quality as long as something is "serviceable".
I just replaced all the bushings and lower balljoints in my 88 coupe. I cleaned the control arms and lateral links with Mean Green before I put everything back together.
I did NOT remove the front or rear cradle to paint anything.
I did not paint. Anything. With the exception of the valve cover on the Duke.
My cars are designed to be drivers, not show cars. If they happen to win something along the way, that's great! But it's not a priority.
My gray car has had so much stuff done to it (call it "mission creep") that I seldom drive it any more. It's to the point that I've actually considered selling it.
The white car still looks like a turd. I'd drive it anywhere. :D

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2017, 06:09:13 pm »
Mine is far from a show car.  When they announce the points score, mine is one of the first.  They work up from there.  I was dissappointed that, after all the time and effort I put into cleaning the engine compartment, my score sheet had the word ”disgusting” in the comments section.  I'd removed all the cobwebs, and everything I could get off with the degreaser, but there were dark spots I couldn't get to, or couldn't scrub off.

My goal is that the car will be better when I finish with it than it was when I got it.  I apply that to trails I use, as well.  You know, remove fallen trees, trim the weeds, fill in ruts, etc.  With my cars, they may not look like much, but they're always mechanically sound.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:22:39 pm by tshark »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2017, 07:24:25 pm »
I got this.  Hope it's the right thing and fits.  The foam is worrisome.

I'd prefer a darker, less glaring color.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:12:24 pm by tshark »

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2017, 06:37:19 am »
Must be from a satellite.....
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2017, 07:09:17 am »
It's Dynamat Hoodliner.  Yeah, it looks like something that went in with the recall.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »
I'm hoping I got the right thing.  I'll have to remove the heatshield currently on the firewall.  We'll see.  Anyway, I covered up the edges with aluminum tape.  Again, hopefully the right thing.  It's for heat ducts, not engine bays.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »
Oops.  Apparently, I should've used this:

It's Steiner Velvet Shield carbon fiber welding blanket, and it can withstand direct contact of up to 1800 degrees F. So it will definitely stand up to engine heat. You can get a 4x6 foot one from Northern Tool on this page

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
Here's a preview:

Comments?  Likey, no likey?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »
Is it a color on a theme?  Personally, I like the stock red, but I've seen several that had a theme going and it worked out very well.  Hope it's high temp paint and you baked it in the oven.  Good finish on it. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:52 pm »
I like the stock red, also, but it wasn't available.  This is a powder-coat.  I wanted a much brighter red.  Like candy apple.  This is red with a gold flake.  I can't wait to see how it turned out.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
Is that for your boat?
Lol. Just kidding! 
I'd like to paint my whole dang car candy Apple red.....except for the windshield and some other glass.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)