Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: '84 sail windows are different?  (Read 14485 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
'84 sail windows are different?
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:48:27 pm »
I hadn't really thought about it before, but are the '84 sail panel frames different from the sail windows in later years?

Fierosails says that their windows fit '85-'88 notchies, but not the 84 unless later year frames are used.  If they're different, why?

I know the '84 windows were glass, stock.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: '84 sail windows are different?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:06:12 pm »
Yeah. They were glass. And the frames were completely different. I'm thinking the glass was "set in" to the frame, kind of like a windshield glass is set in to the rubber gasket.
The later windows just had the plastic window glued to the frame.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:15:31 pm »
Hmmm.  Good explanation.  OK.  So, if I want to replace the sail windows on an '84, do the frames come out without removing the windows?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 06:43:22 pm »
Steve's correct.  The 84's are glass and they're molded into the frame.  They changed to a plastic insert in 85.  The 84 and 85 windows also use a metal  "U" clip that clips onto the flange along the downward sloped portion of the roof.  The sail windows have metal pins cast into the window frame and they push into the metal clips. 

86 and later notchback sail windows have a large plastic pin, and large holes in the roof flange.  The plastic pins have two arced 'wings' that hold the window into the flange, along with the common large threaded stud at the lower front that is secured to the car by a stamped metal 'pal nut'. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:50:52 pm »
I took the sail window pieces out of my 86SE, and  put the new one in with double-sided tape.  I don't recall any screws or clips.  I guess the screw and clip are for the panel.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:16:07 pm »
Correct.  They are on the back of the main frame of the window.  The inserts are held in by double side tape. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers