Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: to paint, or to polish, THAT is the question!  (Read 15528 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
to paint, or to polish, THAT is the question!
« on: June 02, 2014, 12:31:55 pm »
While the intake and valves covers are off, what would be better,.. paint or polish?
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: to paint, or to polish, THAT is the question!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:47 pm »
Whenever I've had them off, I completely strip and repaint them.  It's tedius but worth it.  Aircraft paint stripper does a pretty decent job of breaking the paint loose.  Multiple applications are needed.  Get yourself a 3m buffing wheel that looks similar to Scotchbrite.  Brown ones work very well.  It will aid in removing some of the paint, especially in recesses, and it won't scratch the aluminum like a wire wheel.  Power drill and safety glasses are a must.

Once you've got all the paint removed, wash the parts with a good degreaser like Castrol Super Clean.  Rinse well with water and let dry.  Then because it's aluminum, wash it good with pure white vinegar, rinse well with water and let it dry again.

Get yourself a can or two of Zinc Chromate primer.  It's what is used to paint aircraft.  Coat all surfaces.  Don't worry about masking out surfaces to be polished or left unpainted.  Let it air dry and sun cure for 24 hours.

To match the original red, I like the High Temp Engine Enamel by Dupli-Color.  DE 1605 Ford Red.  It's almost an exact Fiero Red.  Spray all parts, coating thoroughly.  Let it dry and sun cure for another 24 hours. 

Using a window scraper that utilizes a single edge razor blade, you can place the blade on 2 ribs of the valve covers and push the scraper along to slice up the paint and primer from the flat surfaces that are to be polished.  Once you've removed the paint from the flat surfaces, you need to turn your attention to the edges of those surfaces so that the paint doesn't turn loose.  Paint will naturally pull away from any sharp outside corner and puddle on any inside corner.

Place the blade at a 45 degree angle and push it along the sharp corners of all the polished surfaces to remove just a small sliver of paint. 

Using a power pad sander, polish out the flat surfaces, starting with 200 grit and finishing up with 400+ grit.  Remove all residue with pure water and let dry.  If you can find the high temp clear, you can overspray everything to help prevent oxidation of the bare aluminum areas. 

Send the wife to visit her Mother and while she's gone, preheat the kitchen oven at 250 degrees.  Place the pieces on the center rack and bake for 30 minutes. 

Let cool, install and enjoy, 

My engine after about 3 years. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:53 pm »
Another option -- have them powder coated.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:37:32 am »
Can i send my wife off to her mother's, even if i don't bake the parts in the oven?! 
Anybody paint their covers different colors?  I feel guilty for even thinking it, and screwing with the trademark red top, but, my car is silver and silver would look good too?

I just thought of something.....
You don't suppose that designers choose red to top the engine with, marking the fiero with a pun, it being the "red headed step child" if gm?  :o
(Sorry Ginger)
Ron

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:18:15 am »
I've seen pictures of engines painted different colors.  The nicest one I think I ever saw was owned by a guy who worked for The Fiero Factory.  A custom blue fastback that was immaculately detailed.  I've seen pics of others that were polished, orange, and black.

This one is in a Formula owned by Georgia Fieros.  Recently acquired after sitting for 3 or 4 years.  It hasn't been cleaned up, yet.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »
What in the world is goin on with that pvc setup?!  Looks industrial!
Must be for California!
Ron

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
We don't understand why he did that, but just out of the pic is a canister about the size of the evap canister.  One hose in and one hose out.  Maybe he was filtering out the oil vapors and reusing it instead of burning it.  Dave did some things that were a little on the edge.  Can't say if they worked or not, but he generally knew what he was doing.