Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Next Road Atlanta Track Day  (Read 17982 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Next Road Atlanta Track Day
« on: July 24, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »
The next Road Atlanta Track Day will be about November 5th and 6th 7th.  This is similar to the event put on later in November by MVP Track Events, but it is much cheaper.  You don't have to go through the expense of the rigorous inspection and special equipment required by MVP.  You will need a S2000 helmet, which is not a motorcycle helmet.  They are available for rent at the track for about $20 for the day.  You will be given a professional driving instructor sitting shotgun with you to teach you braking, shifting, and what line to take through the course.  It'd called PDX for Professional Driving Xperience.  Some say it means Pretty Danged Xciting.  

Aside from Run For The Hills, this is the most fun you can have in a Fiero without getting nekked.  

I'll keep this updated as I get information.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:14:44 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Next Road Atlanta Track Day
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:29 pm »
Here's the latest information I have on the November Road Atlanta Track Experience.  Sunday will be the day that you can get out there and open it up. 

The official schedule hasn't been released yet, but should be as follows.
Track Tours Friday Nov. 5, 11:00 am
                 Sat Nov. 6,     11:00 am
Tours will start as soon as possible after morning race activities are completed on both days Participants should report to the turn 3 track entry point with correct change ($20.00 per car). Funds collected go to the worker reimbursement fund to help our (SCCA ATL REGION) volunteer workers help with their expenses. We couldn't have these events without them. Participants will follow the pace car or cars around the track at pace car speed. We will try to get as much time as possible on the track, up to 50 minutes. Participants should have standard safety for street driving seat belts, good tires,,etc. They should also have a full tank of gas. We have had participants run out of gas. That STOPS the entire session, and makes the other participants very angry as well as the track crew! Any more questions please feel free to contact me.
PDX will be held on Sunday.
Requirements are as follows.
Must be an SCCA member (Weekend memberships are available for $15.00, I think)
Register on line when official registration opens (usually 4 weeks prior to the event)
or call  or e mail me for registration info. Fee for PDX is $100 for non-worker or $50.00 for worker.Attend a MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING. Held at 7:30 am Sunday Morning.
Have car inspected, issued car number and assign instructor.

This is  very brief info on PDX. Those wishing to find more information can go to the SCCA web site. www.scca.org.  Follow the link to FIND YOUR REGION, Click on Atlanta Region and that will take you to all the info for PDX.
Hope this helps a little,
Just give me a call or e mail for more info.
Bill Dillashaw
thedg1@windstream.net
PDX Chief Instructor
706 939 1117

PS:  Long pants and shoes are required.  You are also required to have an S2000 rated helmet.  These are available for rent at the track.  Usually around or below $20. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:40:43 am »
id really like to see what my 3800 formula would do on the track

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:47:14 am »
This really isn't that far away.  Is anyone making plans to go?

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:58:12 am »
Iam planning on going as long as nothing else comes up or goes wrong ( with car )  :)

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:08:56 am »
me too if nothing changes
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:01 am »
It's about time to start getting serious about this event if you plan to participate.  For about $150, you can spend the day on the track, finding out what you and your car can do and honing your skills.  This is a brief description of the PDX event.

Track Experience: Track Experience events are called PDX (also known as HPDE or High Performance Driving). They offer lots of seat time, individual instruction and tons of driving experience. PDXs are designed to educate you, grow your skills and make you more confident behind the wheel both on the track and on the street. You can participate in your street legal sedan or cars meeting Road Racing

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »
I've corrected my first post in this thread.  The PDX day is November 7th. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:36 pm »
Here's some information for those planning to do the PDX on Nov. 7

Driving Rules and Technical Inspection.  The same page also has turn by turn driving instructions on how to get through each turn.
http://www.atlantascca.org/pdx/77-about-pdx.html

More Information:
http://www.atlantascca.org/documents/ARRC/2010/ARRC%20PDX%20Supps.pdf

TO REGISTER, call Gwen at 770-455-7222.  Tell her you're with Bill Dillashaw's Fiero group who was there in July.  She will guide you on registration.  This gives us special non-member rates so you don't have to join SCCA. 

I had read in the Technical Inspection link above that tires must have a minimum speed rating of U=124MPH.  Bill said he didn't think that would apply to the A and B Beginners group since we're limited to 95 MPH. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:31:56 pm by Fierofool »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »
I just registered for the event.  If you call Gwen and register, you have two options for payment.  If you want to pay cash or check, you can register and pay on the day of the event.  If you want to pay by credit card, your account won't be charged until you show up at the track.  If you don't show, there is no charge.  These options are only by calling Gwen.  If you register online and use a credit card, you will be charged a cancellation charge if you don't show.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:29:09 am »
I just found out that with your entry fee, if you show up on Friday and Saturday, you can watch the races, then come Sunday to run in the PDX. 

88_4mula

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »
I would love to get out on the track...But I still have not got my car back from Jeremy yet.
He said he has the engine out...and will call when he gets it done.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »
Looks like I'll be the only one there.  Don's not feeling well and also has some family functions.  I've been trying through phone and email to contact Jerry for most of 2 weeks and haven't heard from him.  Ray's in south Georgia finishing up a movie. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:26 pm »
It was super weather for the PDX today.  We had 12 cars in our group, with probably 40 total in the 3 groups of PDX drivers.  It was open track without a pace car. 

In the first session, I let my instructor drive the first 2 laps.  He got a little out of shape on turn 7 and got us a warning.  We came in and swapped out.  Running the first session, I only got a maximum speed of about 90.  I got passed by only 1 car.  A BMW got me in the early going.

In the second session, a 'Vette passed me twice.  Once during actual running, and the last time as I slowed down for the checkered flag.  He could get me on the straights but I left him in the curves.  I also got a warning for hitting the curves too fast.  I suppose it was because I got up to 105 MPH on a couple of passes.  My instructor helped me clean up my line and we were getting into the curves much faster without tire squeal.  They don't like tire squeal because you're reaching the limits and could spin out or go off track.  One Honda couldn't hold the curve at the end of the front straight, hit the grass and was sent home. 

I thought I had put my car and myself to our limits in the past, but today I found out we can do much better.  All you need is a little training.  Total for the day--$100 and a half tank of gas.