Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: control module??  (Read 15427 times)

meatloafsandwich

• View Profile
control module??
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:00:57 am »
S0 the day before I left for Alaska, I was at Walmart getting some supplies and when I went to leave, she started up just fine, ran for about 10 seconds, then died. it's getting fuel but not spark. I checked the 2 fusible links by the battery and they showed good. So my question is: are there other fusible links that I am missing? I have a friend who towed it to his house and although he is mechanically inclined, not so much on Fieros. He is going to attempt pulling the ignition control module and having it tested but I want to make sure it isn't something simple first. I am still in Alaska and need this running when I get back (it is my daily driver) it is an 87 notchie with the 2.5 automatic. So if anyone has any advice, parts, or just feel like turning some wrenches;) please let me know, Thanks

Robert

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: control module??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:05:15 am »
Try removing the connectors on your ignition/coil pack assembly and replace them. This action will clean the contacts. Also, try starting the car with the A and B connectors on the ALDL connector jumpered. This will run it in "limp" mode, with the ignition module controlling the spark by itself (no ECM input).
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

meatloafsandwich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:07 pm »
Okay, so he did these things and said that when he unplugged the control module and looked in the plug that the second wire from the bottom "looks kind of burnt and a little melted" but still no start. He put it onto a car dolly backwards and towed it home, when he got there, before he took it off the dolly, he said he tried it again for fun and it "started right up, ran like doo doo for a minute, then died" he asked me if it had gas, and I am pretty sure there is quarter tank, and besides, I couldn't get it to fire off on starting fluid! He is going to put 5 gallons of gas in it and try again. Suggestions anyone??

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »
Have you check for ECM trouble codes? See this page on Pennock's site.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

meatloafsandwich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »
Totally forgot about that actually! I will forward him that link. He won't be able to do it til next week, I will let you know what I find