Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 1988 base coupe  (Read 15041 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: 1988 base coupe
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 07:28:05 pm »
I downsized.  Got rid of the Avalanche, the 1-ton, and a beater.  I may sell the LTD.  Still looking for a manual transmission car.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 08:42:21 pm »
He sent me 15 extra pics of it to my phone.  Shots of both trunk sides and underneath look pretty good with minimal small orange spots.   Paint is thin on the roof and possibly engine cover, hard to tell with the snorkels throwing shadows on it.  Interior looks good, seats nice, funny not having the aux gauges in the center.   Replacement steering wheel is OK.  It has a lot of miles on it, if one was planning a swap its a great candidate.  Hard to get into an 88 for less.  Trying to avoid a full on build now.  Coudl be a good one for one of the kinds coming up to driving age in a few years if not for all the miles.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 09:02:03 pm »
Did you get an answer on the AC?

Not sure the miles are a problem.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 10:17:02 pm »
Paint is thin on the roof and possibly engine cover, hard to tell with the snorkels throwing shadows on it.  Interior looks good, seats nice, funny not having the aux gauges in the center.   Replacement steering wheel is OK.  It has a lot of miles on it, if one was planning a swap its a great candidate.  Hard to get into an 88 for less.  Trying to avoid a full on build now.  Coudl be a good one for one of the kinds coming up to driving age in a few years if not for all the miles.

I am tempted to show you before and after pics of my coupe, but I don't want to completely hijack your thread.
Mine was essentially identical to this one, except for it being white instead of black, and having the stock "salad shooter" wheels, which I now can't even give away. :D
I rebuilt the entire suspension (including ball joints, poly bushings, and shocks and struts) with the exception of the rack, which seemed fine; and refurbed/upgraded the brakes. (I installed Corvette rotors, but retained the Fiero calipers. I replaced the pads on one end, if I remember correctly.)
I also installed a rear sway bar. It was kind of labor intensive (bushings suck), but I don't think I have over $300 in all the suspension pieces.
The engine? It leaked so badly, that I called it the Fiero Valdez. It runs good, but leaked oil from every imaginable seam and orifice. I replaced the valve cover gasket, timing cover and crank seal, as well as the belt tensioner (which the pulley had worn a groove in the timing cover.) It's not perfect, now, but much better.
I should mention that, since I was looking for a "swap victim", a running car was not a requirement. But after fixing (most of) the leaks, it runs so good, that I'm content to just drive it until I'm ready to do the swap.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:33:20 am by Raydar »

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 03:06:46 pm »
Did you get an answer on the AC?

Yes it does have air, I could see it in the front compartment shot.  Do not know if it works.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 07:45:03 pm »
I thought that was your question to him.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 08:42:46 pm »
I thought that was your question to him.

Whether it had air was my question.
He answered in the Pennocks thread that "everything works", but he seemed to be kind of dodgy when people tried to nail him down.

With that said... When I was shopping for mine, I was mostly concerned that it was an original "factory A/C" car. The fact that it actually worked, once it was charged, was a very pleasant surprise.

My take on it is that if it is (or was) originally equipped with A/C, it can be fixed, even if it's not working.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 09:22:25 pm »
Probably, but yes, he seemed to stop replying.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 02:13:53 pm »
He still has it, he's in the process of moving.  He mentioned he needed to change the clutch slave cylinder, I think.  I told him I'm still shopping around.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 02:47:13 pm »
Any answer on the A/C?

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2020, 02:49:20 pm »
It's got A/C, I didnt ask its condition though.