Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Invitation From Grassroots Motorsports  (Read 14520 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Invitation From Grassroots Motorsports
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:18 am »
I have been corresponding with Grassroots Motorsports, inviting their members to join us in Run For The Hills.  GTXVette suggested that in addition to posting about the event on the GMS web page, that we contact the upper echelon of the organization.  So, I did, and issued an invitation for the magazine folks to attend our event.  They have a heavy schedule in September, so the magazine staff can't attend our RFTH. 

Through the course of several emails, this is what I got from Tim Suddard, publisher of Grassroots Motor Sports. 

What I would love to have you guys do, is to hold a spring event in conjunction with our Classic Motorsports Mitty event, the last weekend in April in and around Road Atlanta. We could provide you with discounted admission, a special Fiero parking area, beer and entertainment during the weekend. And of course, our entire editorial staff is on deck that weekend. We could profile some of the coolest cars as well as the club itself.

Tim Suddard
Publisher:
Grassroots Motorsports magazine
Classic Motorsports magazine
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation From Grassroots Motorsports
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:34:47 am »

That is really cool.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:39:26 pm »
Indeed it IS cool!
If you've never been to a "Mitty", it's always a lot of fun. (Been a very long time since I went.)
Lots of automotive shenanigans to be observed.  :D

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:39 pm »
I don't think this is the 'Walter Mitty".   I believe in an earlier email he referred to it as a 'Mini Mitty'.  Might get us more attention than if we were the little guys in a big event. 

What-say Sarge and TopNotch?  Should we look at making it a club participation event? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
   Charlie, that is the Main Event. So Yea!.  i Met them at the Challenge last Year and really good people.
 The Mitty is really sponsored by the Familey's Other Mag. 'Classic Motorsports',it caters to an older Age of Sport Cars and is also a very fine mag.
  looks like we have some things to discuss at the next Meet.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:32:14 pm »
A number of years ago, I went to the Mitty, and caught a bit of the action in this video, which includes one car sliding off the track...
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 08:03:17 pm »
My favorite "Mitty" story concerns a guy who had a classic Porsche or Lotus. (I forget which.)  This was back when I used to work corners at Road Atlanta.
Told his wife that he was going to the Mitty to play. She begged him not to, afraid that he was going to wreck his car.
He said, "Okay... I'll just go play golf, instead."  ...and came to the Mitty anyway.
Long story short... he lost it on turn eleven, went off to the left, hit a small rise that was in the grass/dirt, sailed right over the Armco (guardrail) and ended up on his roof, in the woods. He wasn't injured. The car was another story.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:58:57 pm »
Yes,' The Mitty'  Where Every Man is a Hero. 
is that mean........... sounds mean..........I'LL go with mean.
 I mean, you read the book, right!