Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: bent crankshaft??  (Read 14798 times)

meatloafsandwich

• View Profile
bent crankshaft??
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »
ok so it appeared that the seal around my harmonic balancer was leaking so I got a new one, took the balancer off changed it, put it all back together and was good to go.......for a couple of weeks. It started leaking again so I took the balancer off again and this time noticed a few small grooves around the shaft of the balancer, so I bought a new one and a new seal. Well last week I put it all in and when I fired it up, I got a bad loud knock that seemed to go away at around 2000rpm. Well, since I also replaced the belt with one that was obviously too big, I thought it was just the belt slapping and decided to fix it this weekend. I took the belt off and tuned it over ( to verify belt) still knocking! Thought maybe the pulley was slightly crooked, took it off and noticed some faint grooves starting on this one and a section of the seal torn, I took the pulley off, turned it over and.....knock, knock knock!! guy at aitpzpme said the original balancer went bad messing up the seal but it did not vibrate or knock because it balanced itself to the bad pulley and the new one tried to run it straight.

This does not make much sense to me for these reasons: no vibration, runs great, no codes, and no obvious metal in the oil ( drained it tonight to look at it)

I really need some guidance, until my wife's car gets fixed, this is my daily driver,

I do have a 3800sc to put in, but it is far from ready

HELP!