Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 88 Oil Pressure Sending Unit  (Read 15353 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
88 Oil Pressure Sending Unit
« on: December 12, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »
Does anyone have an oil pressure sending unit and could run a test with a multi-meter? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: 88 Oil Pressure Sending Unit
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:41:52 pm »
I might have one laying around.
What do you need tested?

(It was replaced because it would stick occasionally, but I have to assume that it's not stuck now.)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:19:33 pm »
I installed an AC Delco sender into my 86.  Within a couple of days the battery was dead.  I recharged it, drove it and afterward, the battery went dead again within a couple of days.  Since the sender was the only thing I did or touched, I disconnected it.  The battery has now been holding a charge for several weeks. 

Since the orange/black wire is unswitched 12V, there is constant power going to it, and the sending unit grounds through it's base.  I tested an 85-87 sending unit and found no continuity between terminals when there is no oil pressure (engine not running).  The new 88 sender has continuity at all times through it's terminals. 

Rock Auto says the unit isn't warranted since I installed it in an 86 Fiero when it's intended for an 88.  If there's nothing wrong with my unit, I don't want to press the issue. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:31 pm »
Charlie,

I'll give you a call tomorrow evening. I'm "disinfecting" a computer for somebody. Lots of fun.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:16:32 pm »
Thank you, Steve for your help.  I returned the bad unit to Rock Auto and they sent a new one.  The new unit shows all the circuits are open, just like the 85-87 sender. 

While hiding inside from the cold and rain, I did a write up on the conversion to the new style sender, without cutting the old engine harness.  Finally got it posted today.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:59:32 pm »
If you're still looking for a unit to test, today I found the old one off of my '88. It's perfectly good electrically, but it leaks a little bit, so I replaced it back when I rebuilt the engine. I was, of course, looking for something else when I found it (it always works that way).
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:41 pm »
Thanks for the offer, Pat.  Steve found his and the information he provided verified that the one I had was defective.  The new one Rock Auto sent works like it should.