Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Coolant temperature gauge  (Read 15073 times)

WV Mike

• View Profile
Coolant temperature gauge
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:20:42 pm »
I replaced my oil pressure switch today. Yeah, my oil pressure is reading correctly. However, since doing so, I noticed my temperature gauge is stuck at about 1 o'clock position on the gauge. Any thoughts as to if I have to take the dash apart to get the temperature gauge to work again. I disconnected the battery in hopes that would get it to drop back down, but no luck.
'88 Fiero Formula 2.8L v6

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Coolant temperature gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:47:04 pm »
Make sure it's securely plugged onto the sending unit.  Due to the location on the corner of the head, the connector can crumble.  If you only have the wires remaining, it's possible they're touching or swapped locations.  Slap the top of the instrument panel with the flat of your hand.  Works for dislodging the fuel gauge, so it should work for the temp gauge, too. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 07:27:16 pm »
Mine has a different issue.  After driving about 300 miles, I made a rest stop, because the temp was showing about halfway into the red.  Nothing odd with vehicle performance, though.  Anyway, the coolant in the overflow tank may be a bit low, but otherwise everything looked OK.  I left the decklid open for a while, then turned the key 2 clicks.  The temp gauge read just below halfway, then started moving around.  Up and down, eventually going to the red, then back down to just below 220.

Bad gauge?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:27:15 pm »
I would suspect the sending unit if the gauge sits at 100 when it's at ambient temp with ignition ON. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:46:10 pm »
It sits at 100 with the ignition off, and the key out.

The temp light never comes on.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:38:00 pm »
Though the gauge and light share the same sensor, they are completely separate.  The gauge circuit is a potentiometer.  The light circuit is an on-off switch.  One can work if the other has failed.  With cold engine and ignition OFF, key out, the needle should sit on the very bottom of the thermometer symbol.  That's why it's indicating a much higher temperature but still isn't boiling  You can remove the pod and without power applied, remove the needle and reposition it to point at the bottom of the thermometer symbol. 

Once you've reinstalled it, drive the car until it's up to operating temp.  Park it, leave the engine running and the AC turned off.  Observe the needle position when the cooling fan turns on.  For stock thermostat and fan switch, you should be at about 235*.  For Rodney's low temp fan switch and stock thermostat, the fan should come on at about 220*.