Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Headlight motor repair. I got them apart. NOW WHAT?  (Read 14804 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Headlight motor repair. I got them apart. NOW WHAT?
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:37:40 am »
I got the motor off and apart.
What is the green baby puke stuff?  Old grease is what it stinks like. What kind goes in?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Headlight motor repair. I got them apart. NOW WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:58:50 am »
That is what was at one time, your bump stops.  At this time, I will caution you to make note of the windings.  See the white latex spot on the windings and the case half?  Mark that side in case the latex comes off.  They have to go back together else the motor will run backwards.  Also, you will need to clean all that junk out of the motor and the old grease that's turned to gum.  That's what's coating the metal intermediate gear.  The bump stops I gave you goes underneath that metal plate that holds the plastic gear onto the shaft. 

I also advise that you remove the limiter switch/brush set so that you don't break the brushes off when reassembling the motor.  Give me a call after 6 tonight and I'll give you more precise information so you don't have to tear it apart, again. 

If you don't already have some, go get yourself a tube of Sil-Glyde Synthetic Brake Grease.  It's high temp and works very well for lubricating the gears. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Headlight motor repair. I got them apart. NOW WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:14:36 pm »
Got it done. Cleaned all the green stuff out and lubricated with caliper grease as recommended. Installed the pellets provided in the fiero fool kit and works like a charm!  Smooth action both up and down. Perfect again!
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)