Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Need help with dogbone bracket. Bolt seems to be missing  (Read 14848 times)

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
Need help with dogbone bracket. Bolt seems to be missing
« on: October 05, 2016, 03:46:19 pm »
Hey everyone, first of how was the run for the hills cruise? Couldnt make it with my busy schedule.

Anyways this is for an 88 gt 5 speed. Whats the deal with this lower part of the dog bone bracket? Does it just need a bolt? Looks like the bracket can shift some to get closer. If i just need the bolt what size is it?

The engine shifts a bit and i originally thought it was bad engine mounts (which still may be). I replaced the dogbone with poly hoping itd help a bit, and noticed that a bolt was missing for the dogbone bracket.

Thanks

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Need help with dogbone bracket. Bolt seems to be missing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:50:31 pm »
Yup, it's definitely missing. You can match it up at pep boys. Pull one out from the same alternator bracket, make sure it threads in, then take it to the store and match it up. If all mount points aren't secure, you'll begin to see broken mounts. They aren't stout enough to hold the torque alone....only in concert.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 03:56:46 pm »
Yup, it's definitely missing. You can match it up at pep boys. Pull one out from the same alternator bracket, make sure it threads in, then take it to the store and match it up. If all mount points aren't secure, you'll begin to see broken mounts. They aren't stout enough to hold the torque alone....only in concert.

Which bolt would be best to take out and still be able to drive to the store?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:50:59 pm »
Try a hex head bolt, (M10x1.5x25)  1.9 POR with a 10x20x3 thick hardened washer.  You may have to remove the dogbone at the secondary engine bracket, loosen the nut and bolt behind it in order to allow the primary bracket to rotate and pull into the engine. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:18:45 pm »
Got it fixed. Used a stock one from another location for the bracket itself and a flanged m10x1.50x40 for the bolt it replaced. Seems to do the trick.

Thanks! Much less engine movement now. I think the rest could be attributed to bad mounts as i dont feel it shift unless i get on or let off abruptly, still nowhere like it was.