Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Poor handling caused by bad motor mounts? Link inside, and an observation  (Read 15307 times)

Formula Owner

• View Profile
Re: Poor handling caused by bad motor mounts? Link inside, and an observation
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 11:07:44 am »
Raydar, what engine & mods are you running? Don't you have a 3.4? Any idea of the torque it's producing?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 02:01:30 pm »
I haven't driven it much of anywhere, but I'm certain it will be back to normal. The two broken mounts were allowing the engine to walk all over the place.
It torqued up to the point that the alternator fan cut through part of the harness, that wraps around the shock tower.

Raydar, what engine & mods are you running? Don't you have a 3.4? Any idea of the torque it's producing?

The 3.4 was in my previously sold red car. This one is a 4.9 with an Allante intake, and a NV T-550 (Cavalier Getrag) trans.
Plenty of "hardware shattering" torque. Guessing 300+ lb.ft, although it's never been dynoed.

Formula Owner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 03:42:03 pm »
The 3.4 was in my previously sold red car. This one is a 4.9 with an Allante intake, and a NV T-550 (Cavalier Getrag) trans.
Plenty of "hardware shattering" torque. Guessing 300+ lb.ft, although it's never been dynoed.
Ok, you're subjecting your mounts to WAY more torque than mine are seeing.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 06:38:12 pm »
Ok, you're subjecting your mounts to WAY more torque than mine are seeing.

Strangely enough, this is the first front side mount(s) that I have ever broken. (If you're gonna do it, do it right, i suppose.)
I did break a rear mount, a few years ago. Still have no idea how...

I now have Rodney's tranny mounts; and poly bushings (surplus suspension pieces) on the front corners of the engine. Still have a rubber mount under the pulley.
No dog bone, but I'm thinking about adding a cable or chain, with a turnbuckle, down to the front cradle rail, or to the hinge box. If I break the block in another place, it's probably scrap.  If that happens, I'll just do something else.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:31:26 pm by Raydar »