Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Doing my clutch. Cradle is out. What next?  (Read 14548 times)

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
Doing my clutch. Cradle is out. What next?
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:11:29 pm »
Hey everyone im doing my clutch and the cradle is dropped with everything on it. What should i take off the cradle. Engine trans or both?

Ill be replacing the following.

Clutch
Flywheel
Oil pan, valve cover, and rear main seal gaskets
Engine and trans mounts
Cv shafts/inner seal
Hubs.

Just wanted to see if there is a particular order that be the easiest!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Doing my clutch. Cradle is out. What next?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:20:57 pm »
It seems that the rear main seal would require that the engine and transmission be separated, and probably the clutch, as well.

The oil pan, valve covers, CV shafts, inner seals, and hubs can be done without pulling the cradle, even.

The transmission/motor mounts can be replaced fairly easily.  Be sure to support the engine and transmission while replacing the front and lower mounts.

For the CV shafts and hubs, be sure to replace the axle nuts.  If the "hubs" are the rear wheel bearings, the hubs should come with the wheel bearings and axle nuts.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:21:43 pm »
Normally, I'd say to take off the transmission. But since you're doing the oil pan, you'll have to take off the engine. When I last did my clutch, I took of my transmission, with a jack under the oil pan to hold the engine. So yes, you'll have to remove the engine.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:58:35 pm »
When you're putting it back together, install the hubs while you have everything out of the car.  With the axles removed, you can remove the hub seals and reinstall them if you don't get them to the right depth. Before removing the old one, make note of the depth they're installed into the hubs.   

Do the initial torque on the axle nuts then install everything into the car.  Don't be tempted to install tires and roll the assembly.  Wait until everything is done, then let the car down on it's wheels and do the final torque.

See my article  http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3213.0
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 06:48:16 pm »
Got it done! Everythings much better now with new mounts and the clutch. Now its time for my front end. The balljoints are slipping in the lower control arms. Probably cant have that done before RFTH  :'( ill start a new thread for that

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »
The front ball joints take about 6 hours, at least to pull the control arms, replace the bushings, replace the ball joints, put everything back together and get the Fiero aligned.  Faster than pulling the cradle and putting it back.  It would be a good time to replace the tie rods.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:04:03 pm »
I used Rodney's ball joints. (Standard. Not lowering)
They come with a big spring clip that can be used to hold them in place in the control arm.
Since I had to press/pound mine in, I didn't bother with the clips.  I don't think they're going anywhere.

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 12:18:22 am »
I used Rodney's ball joints. (Standard. Not lowering)
They come with a big spring clip that can be used to hold them in place in the control arm.
Since I had to press/pound mine in, I didn't bother with the clips.  I don't think they're going anywhere.

The clips are there for safety for cases like mine. The clips are preventing the ball joints from coming out at this point.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 12:46:40 pm »

The clips are there for safety for cases like mine. The clips are preventing the ball joints from coming out at this point.

Obviously, if your ball joints are moving around, you need the clips.