Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: DIS and octane  (Read 14041 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
DIS and octane
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:13 am »
If your Fiero has DIS, can your engine run equally clean on 87 or 93 octane?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: DIS and octane
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:50:14 am »
My Duke has DIS, and is completely happy with 87.

Since you asked about "peculiarities" associated with DIS, I'll mention that it is my understanding that DIS will burn up platinum tipped (I think) spark plugs. It really likes the cheap stock plugs best.
I have heard it blamed on the "wasted spark" system. The coil packs are shared on more than one cylinder, so the plug fires once on the compression stroke, and once on the exhaust stroke. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:00:41 pm »
So, would there be any difference/benefit/detriment to running higher octane?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 05:33:40 pm »
Since you asked about "peculiarities" associated with DIS, I'll mention that it is my understanding that DIS will burn up platinum tipped (I think) spark plugs. It really likes the cheap stock plugs best.
I have heard it blamed on the "wasted spark" system. The coil packs are shared on more than one cylinder, so the plug fires once on the compression stroke, and once on the exhaust stroke.

On a waste spark system, the two cylinders being fired are in series electrically. The electrical resistance of the spark gap in the "waste" cylinder is much lower than the resistance in the compression cylinder, so the spark plug in the waste cylinder acts almost like a closed circuit, and relatively little energy is actually "wasted" in the waste cylinder.
The kind of spark plugs that Fieros don't like (whether DIS dukes or distributor-fired V6's), are the kind with very tiny center electrodes (they look like pins). If they have standard size center electrodes, they'll work fine, even if they are "platinum".
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:35:56 pm »
I think mine has multi-fire plugs.