Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Steam Bath  (Read 14816 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Steam Bath
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:02 pm »
Not to highjack Kevin's thread, but MikeMac, it had developed an odd sound on one cylinder upon startup for several weeks.  That sound would go away as it warmed up.   It didn't overheat on the way over to Scott's.  No steam bubbles coming through the tube, but when I parked it, it was overheating. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 11:04:00 pm »
I wouldn't consider it hijacking a thread if the issues are similar. It might help with sorting out either car.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 11:05:38 pm »
Start your car (engine cold) and run it for a few seconds and shut it down. Immediately open the thermostat cover. If water and bubbles come out, that's a clear sign you have a leak from a cylinder to the water jacket.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 10:18:05 am »
Sounds good. I am unable to tear the motor down again until after labor day and I worry about water in one of the combustion chambers that long.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 11:39:13 am »
Drain the radiator and save the coolant.  Pull all the plugs and the coil wire.  Crank the engine for at least 10 seconds.  This should pump any water out of the cylinders.  Then fog the cylinders with oil and replace the plugs. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 02:32:10 pm »
Ran it a while and the steam cleared out. My only issue is the motor dies when I get timing to around 12 deg btdc. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 03:27:45 pm »
Do you have the ALDL jumpered?  Trying to set it at 12* without it jumpered will surely make it stall.  Are you sure your degree ring on the balancer hasn't slipped?   

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 06:45:23 pm »
Ran it a while and the steam cleared out. My only issue is the motor dies when I get timing to around 12 deg btdc.

As Fierofool posted, you will have to have the ALDL jumpered when you set the timing, or it will be waaaaay off. To the point that it will barely run.
Also... in order to set the IAC properly, after major work has been done, the car will need to be warmed up and driven for a few miles, at speeds of over 35 MPH, or so. 

If your steam went away, I'm guessing that it was just water or condensation that had gotten into the exhaust system. Or maybe even oil smoke from when the engine was reassembled. (Just a wild guess, here.)  But as long as it runs okay, your oil and coolant stay clean, and it doesn't steam any more, you should be good.

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:51 pm »
I am waiting for a brake line and need to do a bleed to get it road worthy. I smoked a ground wire too so I have some electrical to sort. The check engine is flashing too. I have also found period correct wheels for $75. I just have to drive to Charlotte to get them. If I can I may try to do the RFTH thing. I found the pay membership and did my thing. Could I still come even if I am in a Challenger?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 10:55:42 pm »
All sports cars are welcome for RFTH, but even club meetings, and other events.

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 10:58:58 pm »
Cool, sounds like a good time.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 11:00:48 pm »
Yeah...