Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New Fiero Owner  (Read 13924 times)

87GoldStandard

• View Profile
New Fiero Owner
« on: June 03, 2020, 01:49:03 pm »
I'm new to Fieros and have a couple of questions. I'm working on my 1987 GT and need to replace all the vacuum lines; what are the diameters of the lines including cruise control? I also have a potential small leak with my transmission pan, what are the bolt torque specs? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Gold '87 GT

Sandman87

• View Profile
Re: New Fiero Owner
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:02:52 pm »
I believe the transmission pan bolt torque spec is 8 to 10 foot pounds
Mike

Sandman87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 02:04:00 pm »
Fiero fool this is a guy that lives up the street from me and he picked up a Fiero it's also his first car how lucky!
Mike

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:04:48 pm »
All I knew when I approved his registration is that he was in Cincinnati and owned an 87GT.  I told him to look up your contact info in our members list. 

The best way to replace the vacuum lines is to purchase Rodney Dickman's stainless steel lines.  They are the right size, length and have the correct bends.  They're well worth the price as you'll never have to worry about them breaking while you're working on the engine.  http://rodneydickman.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=vacuum+lines&ceid=1e280de474f2f0964ef11f255265f9cf

Every manual I have says torque the pan bolts to spec, but nowhere does it list the spec in any portion of the automatic transmission fluid and filter service section.  Even the field service manual was no help. 

When draining, remove all bolts except the center bolt on each end of the pan.  Then loosen those two about 3-4 turns each.  Be sure you have a big enough catch tray to catch fluid coming out from every edge of the pan, then use a screwdriver to carefully pry the pan loose from the transmission.  It takes 4 quarts Dexron II to refill.  Afterward drive the car about 15 miles then with it in Park, check the fluid level and add if necessary. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:20:50 pm »
I'm new to Fieros and have a couple of questions. I'm working on my 1987 GT and need to replace all the vacuum lines; what are the diameters of the lines including cruise control? I also have a potential small leak with my transmission pan, what are the bolt torque specs? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the insanity.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 06:03:56 pm »
I was wondering about the sudden uptick from Ohio.

Welcome!

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 02:37:35 am »
Welcome!

The nicest and most knowledgeable Fiero guys are on this forum.